Difference Between Various Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I'm from Turkey and there's no yeast for home brewing that it has been selling on market.

My yeast actually available for bread and for other foods made with flour. It contains 95% Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

If Saccharomyces cerevisiae also beer yeast why there's millions of variety of it in USA?

Each of the yeasts for different types of wort are acclimated to certain environments. For example, lager yeasts do their best work in environments that are lower in temperature than their ale cousins. Yeasts that are raised to ferment saison worts do some of their best work at higher temperatures. Think of it this way, people in different parts of the world have different weather they have to acclimate to. People who are used to living in cold environments generally will do well anywhere cold. People who live in the tropics will do well in warm weather. People who live in the desert do well in hot weather. Brewers have just found ways to segregate yeasts that do well in certain environments and breed them and improve them generationally. I dont know if I would use the bread yeast to ferment beer. It might work, but it wouldnt work out really well. Maybe concentrate on capturing yeast in your local environment and growing your own cultures would prove more successful. Maybe not. But I would try it first before buying bread yeast to ferment your beer.

Saying you have Saccharomyces cerivisiae is like saying you have a bird. Is it a chicken, a condor, a kiwi? Yeast strains are just as diverse.

Bread yeast is optimized to be fast. It will not be free of bacteria and wild yeast strains, it will not flocculate readily, and will not be tolerant of high alcohol content.

If you can get dry yeast from brands like Danstar and Fermentis, you'll be in a much better spot for brewing. If you keep your ferments sanitary and healthy, you can harvest and repitch from the same pack of yeast several times over.

I would try and make friends with someone from the Efes brewery. I have found that many of the big breweries are stunned that people brew at home. Thats how I got my contact for grain here in Bulgaria. They had sources of yeast and hops as well.

Yeast componies change their DNA of Saccharomyces cerivisiae to homebrew? I can't find anyone in EFES I think.

Yeast componies change their DNA of Saccharomyces cerivisiae to homebrew? I can't find anyone in EFES I think.

Well, kinda. They'll breed different strains of the yeast to have different qualities. Think of them as dog breeds. I'm not sure they will make strains specifically for home brewing, but brewing in general.

I don't completely understand it. 944play mentioned "bird analogy". There's a difference. If I say only Saccharomyces that shows I'd say just "bird". But If I talk about Saccharomyces Cerivisiae then it describes which bird that I'm talking about.

Saccharomyces is bird and Saccharomyces cerivisiae is chicken.
In this point; Why there're lots of yeast?

I don't completely understand it. 944play mentioned "bird analogy". There's a difference. If I say only Saccharomyces that shows I'd say just "bird". But If I talk about Saccharomyces Cerivisiae then it describes which bird that I'm talking about.

Saccharomyces is bird and Saccharomyces cerivisiae is chicken.
In this point; Why there're lots of yeast?

You're taking 944play a bit too literally. If you want a better analogy, saying "I have Saccharomyces" is like saying "I have a canine" (which could be a wolf, coyote, dingo, etc). Saying "I have Saccharomyces Cerivisiae" is like saying "I have a domestic dog".

There's lots of different types of domestic dogs, sometimes with drastically different qualities from each other. Some are bred to be good fighters, some bred to be good hunters, some bred to be good workers, etc.

Similarly, there are a plethora of different types of yeast (Saccharomyces Cerivisiae). Some bred specifically for making bread, some bred specifically for making beer. Of the ones bred for making beer, there's a large variety each with their own characteristics - some are lager yeast, some are ale yeast; some do are very aggressive at converting sugar to alcohol, some aren't so aggressive; some provide fruity flavors, some provide a clean profile, etc... etc...

For example - I count more than 30 (I stopped at 30 and was only about halfway) different strains of liquid Ale yeast on the White Labs website alone, and that's not even including the Lager yeast. Each of those strains is a type of Saccharomyces Cerivisiae.

Saying you have Saccharomyces cerivisiae is like saying you have a bird. Is it a chicken, a condor, a kiwi? Yeast strains are just as diverse.

I'd say a more accurate comparison is that yeast are like dogs. The main species is 'dog', but within that species you have poodles, pit bulls, chihuahuas, labradors, etc. These are all breeds within the species, whereas with yeast they are all strains within the same species.

--- Edit: Wow, Zombiekitty was typing at the same time I was, bravo. ---

hey komomos send me a privat message with your address and I will mail you a couple packets of dry yeast...either that or try to find some beers that have been bottle conditioned and build a yeast strain from that bottle.

Either way you are going to have to become a yeast growth and starter expert so you can maintain a strain or two for yourself. Read up on yeast cultures and propagation...

The better analogy would be comparing yeast to apples. Apples are all Malus domestica, but there are different varieties (Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Macintosh, Macoun, etc.). They all taste a bit different, even though they all taste like apple. They have different properties, e.g., some are better for baking, some for making sauces, some for out-of-hand eating.

Yeast are the same way. You could use any yeast for making bread, cider, beer, or wine, but the taste and other properties (e.g., alcohol tolerance) of the final product will vary.

Being in Turkey, you may be more familiar with the differences among varieties of quince (Cydonia oblonga) or apricot (Prunus armeniaca), but the concept is the same.

7451-Truble.jpg

What da heck is goin' on? This is an image what I found in this site. Not mine.

That my friend is a yeast that doesnt flocculate tightly. It's not a yeast cake as much as it is a yeast cloud.

Making an assumption that to me seems reasonable, I'd say I was seeing malt-derived proteins floating in wort, the top hazy layer being possibly more polyphenols than proteins.

I don't see any indication of yeast activity, unless that haze is wild yeast getting busy.

Back