difference between Hydromel and Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
Hello fellas

right now im trying to find "My" recipe and im experimenting with new ingredients like peppermint, mint, ginger, lemon zest, ETC.

but i have a big question, right now my recipes start with 1.055 SG so the ABV is between 5-6%; my Show sparkling dry "mead or hydromel" is amazing, you can taste the honey on it.

but what i brew is mead or hydromel? what i need to do to make my Hydromel a mead? more ABV adding more Honey?

im planing to make a 10% ABV show "mead?" :confused:

im confused.

:mug:

Technically "hydromel" is an old term for mead in general, but these days its english use generally refers to a mead of less than 8-9% ABV. So if you were to enter a competition with your meads, those would be entered as hydromels yeah.

It's interesting to note that an old english definition from 1913, defines hydromel as unfermented mead.

this weekend i will scale up my show mead recipe to get 9-10% ABV i need to hurry before the weather become more hot.

i also will try a new dry hop mead in a gallon jug.

But...but...what is it if it's fruit bomb melomel that clocks in as a melomel (7%-ish...) Hydro-melomel??? ;) Only half kidding, been doing a bunch of these, as my wife loves 'em, and they're damn fine by me...and ready to drink in a more timely fashion...which is not to say that I don''t have 25 gallons of "high octane" mead tucked away in the dark bulk aging, but ....the light ones are tasty for what they are, and go good on a summer afternoon on the back deck. Enjoying my mango jalapeno peppercorn hydro/melomel at the moment.

Back