Difference Between AHS Extract and Mini-Mash Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I am going to cook up an AHS Dos Equis Amber Lager clone kit in a couple of weeks. What is the difference between their extract and mini-mash kits?

Do I just need to seep the grains longer, or do I need any special equipment (other than a grain bag)? Is the difference in taste worth the little bit of extra effort?

How cool should I ferment it?

I've used the austinhomebrew partial mash, and all I needed was a large grain bag. I thought it was a good kit, and was very happy with it. I'd recommend over the extract kit since it's very similar in procedure, and the results are so good.

The temperature depends on the yeast you buy. If you buy a lager yeast, you should ferment it at about 50 degrees for 2 weeks or so, then rack to secondary, and lager at 34 degrees for 6-8 weeks. If you buy a neutral ale yeast, it'll change the character and flavor of the beer, but if you bought Nottingham, you could ferment it at 60 degrees and it'd be pretty "clean" and close to the lager. If you fermented higher, it'd be fruitier and less crisp tasting.

I need to play with my cooler setup some more. Add some foam and try two 2 liter bottles of frozen water, maybe a couple of smaller bottles.

I can do the secondary in my kegerator, so that will not be a prob.

It may cool off some in the next few weeks also, which will help with the fermentation temp.

Back