Difference Between a Stout and Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
For as long as I've been into beer, I never really asked myself this question. But now I'm developing a beer, and am trying to choose a yeast for it. I can't decide whether it's a sweet stout or a porter. Is there a clear delineation between stout and porter (ie: "You know you're a porter if...")?

Not really, some say that stouts have roasted barley and porters don't, but I have seen it either way. I guess the debate is on..

Taking a couple paragraphs from Papazian, which I just so happen to have handy:
Porter- A traditional description of this style would be hard to come by and likely to be controversial. It is a dark ale; unlike stout its character does not come from roasted barley but more from dark malts. Generally, it is medium- to full-bodied with varying degrees of sweetness and hop character.

Historically, it was a style of ale that was the granddaddy of today's stout. Porter was the common drink and often homebrewed. Its character was expressed with a wild assortment of adjuncts, hers, and miscellaneous ingredients. Arthur Guinness and Sons in Ireland originally brewed it commercially. When the alcoholic strength of porter was boosted, it was described as stout porter. The name stout was soon soon adopted for this style.

My own opinion? Stouts are stouty, porters aren't. That's as good as I can do, which is why I quote others...

Now that I think about it, most of the porters I've come across do implement Crystal in some quantity or other. Not all porters, but quite a fair amount of them. The grain bill also tends to be more diverse and exotic when compared to a stout.

Just musings and observations, probably not applicable across the board.

The only differentiation I can see is that the Stouts appear to incorporate the word "Creamy" in the decription, and none of the Porter styles do (from the BJCP Guidelines). It appears that there used to be more of a distinction. I am no expert, but that is the only difference I can see.

Excerpt from the BJCP Guidelines for 13A-Dry Stout:
History: The style evolved from attempts to capitalize on the
success of London porters, but originally reflected a fuller,
creamier, more “stout” body and strength. When a brewery
offered a stout and a porter, the stout was always the stronger
beer (it was originally called a “Stout Porter”). Modern versions
are brewed from a lower OG and no longer reflect a
higher strength than porters.

So..... If you pour a Porter from a Stout Faucet...... that makes it a Stout Poured Porter, right?

Actually, what I wanted to ask was: Can you pour a Porter using a Stout Faucet and achieve the same creamy head or is it unlikely due to ingredient makeup or something along those lines?

Salute! :mug:

Short Answer
Stout - Roasted Barley
Porter - Black Malt

Longer Answer
With the variety of different brown ales / porters / stouts, there's often a gray line between styles. I've had some brown ales that would fit nicely in the brown porter category or some robust porters that would be better classified as a stout. They all share some similar characteristics and ingredients. In the end, it is what a brewer chooses to call it. Let your taste buds decide.

Latest posts

Back