Didn't refrigerate dry yeast pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
I recently got my brew kit from Northern Brewer but I failed to refrigerate my dry yeast pack that came with it. Caribou Slobber Brown ale will be my first home brew attempt but now I am worried about my yeast!

Does it matter that my yeast pack sat at room temperature for a while? Please help, tomorrow is my desired brew day!

By the way, it was Winsor Danstar yeast.

:)

I recently got my brew kit from Northern Brewer but I failed to refrigerate my dry yeast pack that came with it. Caribou Slobber Brown ale will be my first home brew attempt but now I am worried about my yeast!

Does it matter that my yeast pack sat at room temperature for a while? Please help, tomorrow is my desired brew day!

By the way, it was Winsor Danstar yeast.

:)

Since you said you recently got the kit I doubt you'll have any problems. Directly from Danstar Windsor's data sheet:

5. Storage
• All active dried yeast should be stored dry and below 8°C. The packaging should remain intact.
• Activity loss is about 25% per year at 8°C and 50% per year at 22°C in unopened sealed packs.

So unless your storing for extended periods it's probably not a huge deal.

-deicide

It will be fine. I buy Brewer's Best kits off the shelf at my LHBS all the time (and then frequently leave them sitting around the house for days before brewing). The yeast starts up just fine, including Winsor.

I think storage time & temp is the reason they mix nutrients with dry yeast. I keep'em in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door myself,regardless of how soon I might use them.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info! My brew day seems to have been successful! I guess I won't know for sure until its actually tasting day though.

:mug:

Thanks guys, appreciate the info! My brew day seems to have been successful! I guess I won't know for sure until its actually tasting day though.

:mug:
Jobe, what was the verdict with that batch, so long ago? I came here with the same question. I left the yeast with the rest of my material in the back of my car all night; garaged at about 65(f) all night. It had been refrigerated at the shop. Seems like others say this is no big deal.

Jobe, what was the verdict with that batch, so long ago? I came here with the same question. I left the yeast with the rest of my material in the back of my car all night; garaged at about 65(f) all night. It had been refrigerated at the shop. Seems like others say this is no big deal.

Read post #2. One night in a cool garage won't hurt you. You will be fine.

My LHBS displays their dry yeast packets on a shelf in the main part of the store, not in the fridge; and I've never kept mine in the fridge. Baking yeast does need to be kept refrigerated, but the Danstar & Safales are fine at room temp.

Is there a way to test yeast?

Sure! Brew up a batch of beer and pitch it. You'll know in a couple days.:D

Two other ways. Sugar water will make your yeast go crazy as the simple sugars are easy for the yeast to work on. That lets you know that the yeast are still alive. Better would be to mix dry extract with water to a starting gravity of about 1.040. That will let you know if the yeast are alive and able to digest a more complex sugar.:rockin:

I just bottled my first ever batch today, an AG pale ale. The yeast must have been nearly dead, it took 6 days to start fermenting. I was on the verge of adding new yeast but was afraid it may be infected after sitting there so long so I was thinking about dumping then one morning it was bubbling furiously. I let it sit 2 weeks then racked to a bottling bucket, primed, and bottled. It smelled really good, can't wait to try it. There must have been only a few thousand viable cells left in that packet to take nearly a week of multiplying before fermentation began. I swear it sat for 5 full days without a single bubble then BAM. I'll never use old, questionable dry yeast again, but it seems that all it takes is a few good cells. I'm fully expecting some off-flavors, but hey, it is my first batch! ;)

Back