Didn't properly clean new wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justflow1983

Reaction score
I bought a copper coil immersion chiller (didn't DIY, its from Brupaks) and I boiled it in hot water with some vinegar for 20 minutes. I must not have used enough vinegar, because the beer that I made the next day, and chilled with the chiller, tastes metallic. I am bottling it today.

Will this go away/is it safe to drink?

well I'm more concerned with it having not been clean enough. Has anyone brewed with a chiller that hadn't been properly cleaned before use?

On several occasions my chiller has come out of the wort shinier than it went in. Doesn't seem to be a problem, as long as all of the verdigris was removed.

Well I never did anything with vinegar when I got my chiller. I just plunged it into the hot wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil on my first batch of beer and that was it.

Now usually after every use I just hose it off and blow out the excess water in the coils. Putting it into the how wort effectively sterilizes it before each use.

And each time I use it it comes out nice and shiny and except for hop gunk, pretty clean.

And I've never had off flavors from my chiller.

Well I never did anything with vinegar when I got my chiller. I just plunged it into the hot wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil on my first batch of beer and that was it.

Now usually after every use I just hose it off and blow out the excess water in the coils. Putting it into the how wort effectively sterilizes it before each use.

And each time I use it it comes out nice and shiny and except for hop gunk, pretty clean.

And I've never had off flavors from my chiller.

been looking for this information. this post has just set my worries aside! i brewed today, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, and at beginning of boil it tasted good. at the end of the boil, it tasted way off. but i think it must have been the hops throwing my taste buds for a whirl.

Thanks. It's always good to hear that.

the last two brews I've done tasted good going into primary. But this one just tastes off. But it had late addition hops and it was all cascade. I'm pretty sure that's what had me thrown off.

Latest posts

Back