Didnt get to it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS

Reaction score
About to wash my yeast, boiled the jars and whatnot. Never got the chance to wash. Would you use the boiled water and jars a week later without doing the boil again? Been sitting at 40f. Sealed.

About to wash my yeast, boiled the jars and whatnot. Never got the chance to wash. Would you use the boiled water and jars a week later without doing the boil again? Been sitting at 40f. Sealed.

If you boiled the jars and water together, and then let the hot jar lids seal properly you will be fine saving it for a good while. It's like making jelly, and that stuff has a shelf life of a year or longer. I'm planning on making beer jelly soon... by the way :D

If you boiled the jars and water together, and then let the hot jar lids seal properly you will be fine saving it for a good while. It's like making jelly, and that stuff has a shelf life of a year or longer. I'm planning on making beer jelly soon... by the way :D

True.

If you trust your disinfection/sanitizing process; it shouldn't matter if it's a week, 3 weeks, or longer...

I prefer to wash with sterilized water vs sanitized, ie use a pressure cooker or the triple boil routine 24hrs apart. But as there is no food in water for whatever microbes spores survived the boiling process the time is irrelevant.

Clem

You could take it one step further.. After boiling the jars and water, fill the jars with the boiling water, screw on the lids, and process in boiling water (with at least 2 inches of water above the jars). Process for 15 mins (or according to your elevation) then remove from processing and place jars upside down (resting on lid) for 15 mins. Then turn right-side up and cool. Once cooled they can be stored in a pantry. No need to refrigerate.... I make quite a few in advance, so I don't have to worry about it the day before washing yeast.

Stauffbier can you define "Process", sounds like underwater rest for 15 min?

Stauffbier can you define "Process", sounds like underwater rest for 15 min?

Just like processing jelly or home canned goods.

1) Boil the water, lids and jars together for 20 mins making sure the water covers everything.

2) Remove the jars with tongs (sterilize your tongs in the boiling water for a couple minutes first) while trying to keep them full of the boiling water as you remove them. Remove and apply the lids with your tongs. (*tip = buy kitchen/dish washing rubber gloves so you can handle the hot jars and screw on lids without burning yourself, also dip these into boiling water first to sterilize them).

3) After applying lids submerse the full/closed jars 2 inches under boiling water (light boil is fine - doesn't have to be full rolling boil) and leave in the water for 15 mins (if you live in a very high elevation make it 20 mins) ** this is "processing"..

4) Remove from processing and invert jars upside down on a towel for 15 mins. Then turn jars upright and cool..

Back