Didn't add enough priming sugar to my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
So two weeks ago I bottled a new year beer, the recipe from Brooklyn brew shop, and I just realized that through a measuring error I only added 1/3 of the required priming sugar amount. Is there anything I can do? I read somewhere about reopenig the bottles and adding more sugar. If I leave it alone will it eventually carb up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have heard of some people having success with adding more priming sugar to the bottles. My concern here is since they were primed 2 weeks ago, most of the initial sugar has been converted, so there is a certain amount of co2 already in the beer. If you were to add more, when you open the bottles some of that co2 would escape. Since I don't know of a way to figure out how much, I think it would be close to impossible to determine how much more to add. There is of course also the added worry of infection. If you really want to, try adding the rest of the needed sugar to a 6 pack and let that ride and see. Then judge off of those to decide on the rest.
Personally I would just try and be happy with under-carbed beer. There is always the next batch.

If you only used 1/3 the required amount of priming sugar needed, then it is most likely your beer will never fully carbonate.

Have you opened one? You may want to add some more priming sugar to each bottle, if there is no carbonation at all after two weeks.

If there is any carbonation at all, adding sugar will bring to mind "mentos and diet coke". Trust me. If you are going to try to put more sugar into your bottles, dissolve it in water, or a quantity of the beer and dose each bottle the same.
I would wait a couple more weeks to see if they carb up on their own. Sometimes they do. What recipe did you brew? You might have the amount of carbonation you prefer for that style already and don't know it yet. Just my $0.02.

The carbonation in the bottle will slightly escape when you will open it. If you want to drink it at new years eve, you should add the missing 2/3 right now! I personally don't think the carbonation already in will escape all if you do it quick. Think about it, a beer that sits on the counter will become flat after what 2 hours? Maybe opening a couple then adding and recap, then repeat.

If really you want that particular amount of carbonation, try putting just a bit more sugar than the 2/3 missing. The safest way is, by far, testing on a 6 pack and see. But time is an issue here.

Thanks for the responses guys. I opened one today, and you know what? It's not that bad. Yes the carbonation is low, but the taste is good, and minus the healthy head you really can't tell. Since I'm giving this to people who honestly aren't beer experts and won't know that something is wrong, I'm just going to leave it

Latest posts

Back