Did the yeast stall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew36

Reaction score
I started a Ommegang Hennepin clone about 7 days ago. The OG was 1.080 and after taking a hydrometer reading, it's only at 1.050. What worries me is that the airlock was only active for about a day and a half, then stopped. Also, it has been cold in my house this week, so is there a possibility the yeast stalled? If so, should I pitch more yeast or move it to a warmer place?

How cold is "cold in my house"?

What yeast, how big was the starter, is this all-grain, or mostly extract?

Move it to a warmer place. Give the container a swirl. Give it at least another week at a warmer temp before you panic.

Good luck,

I used one bag of Wyeast Belgian Saison yeast. Its been probably in the low 60's all week. I'll move it to a warmer location and see if it gets moving.

I've kept all of my brews in a water bath the first week to maintain a more steady temperature. The bath temp runs 60F-63F all winter long, which is right where I usually like to be.

This year I also wanted to control the temp through the diacetyl rest so I found a 200W aquarium heater on eBay for $12 shipped. Seems to work great so far.

What is the optimum temp range for that yeast?

I should have probably saved this clone for warmer temps! Another newbie mistake... Luckily it's warmer today so hopefully it'll benefit from it. Can I add another type of yeast that isn't so picky but is appropriate to the style? Or will that create a whole other set of problems?

Can I add another type of yeast that isn't so picky but is appropriate to the style? Or will that create a whole other set of problems?
Didn't I just say, wait another week before you panic?? :)

Take it one step at a time. Start by giving the yeast the environment it prefers.

Cheers!

How long has it been fermenting? Is that 3724 you are using? I like to brew with that yeast in the summer. You definitely want to get at least up to the mid to high 70's. Give it time and heat. As a very very last resort you could use 3711.

logan3825 said:
How long has it been fermenting? Is that 3724 you are using? I like to brew with that yeast in the summer. You definitely want to get at least up to the mid to high 70's. Give it time and heat. As a very very last resort you could use 3711.

3724 is exactly what I'm using. This may sound weird, but I put the bucket in an 80 degree bath and the airlock started up again immediately. I took it out and it stopped. Temp was definitely the issue here. I might try that other Wyeast 3711 if all else fails.

Well, I decided to pitch an additional pack of Wyeast 3711. This yeast does better at slightly lower temps for a saison. I don't have the equipment to warm this up for another week, so I'm thinking this night be my only chance to get this where it should be for this time of year. Guess we'll see how it goes...

How long did you ferment before giving up on it? I think you jumped the gun on adding more yeast. I would give a minimum 6 weeks with a high gravity Belgian beer.

I use WLP 566 for my saisons. It is a seasonal yeast but I buy it and hold onto it until I need it. I just used a year old vial and it worked great. With a starter of course.

I did my first gravity reading at 7 days. After doing a little more research yesterday, Wyeast's website says the Belgian Saison yeast is notorious for stalling after a short, vigorous fermentation. It also said that the French Saison is good for recovering stalled fermentations. I may have jumped the gun a bit on adding more yeast, but after a week I would think it would be at least a bit closer to the expected ABV (at least from my past experiences). Is there any harm to adding more yeast, except for dumping more money into this batch?

A week? A week is way to soon with a higher gravity beer. I would not have worried about it until at least the first month.

I brewed a Belgian Strong Ale a few weeks ago and it made it almost to the desired FG after 7 days. I guess that's what I'm comparing this current batch to. But it's a different style with different yeast, so I guess more time and a warmer temp is the answer. Thanks for all the feedback!

Update: The airlock started bubbling again shortly after this post as the temperature got warmer. It spent a few more weeks fermenting and cleaning up. This got all the way down to a FG of 1.010. The sample I took tasted pretty good. It's a little on the spicy side. Maybe because I added the French saison yeast? Just finished bottling and can't wait to try the finished product! Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back