Did not rehydrate Danstar BRY-97 yeast...am I okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
I know, I know...haste makes waste, and I'm afraid that's what I did to 1/3-1/2 of my Danstar BRY-97 yeasties when I forgot to rehydrate them. :drunk: Here's the numbers:

OG: 1.069
Pitching temp: 72 degrees
Batch size:5.5 gallons
Number of packets used: 2
Time pitched: 10:30 EST

Here's the (2) scenarios I am thinking of:

1) Wait it out

2) Rehydrate my 6 grams of Muntons Active Bewing "Emergency Yeast" that's been in the fridge since August. The best used date on the package is 09-2013

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I use the Muntons yeast, will it affect my flavor profile? TRUST ME...this will not happen again!!

Thanks, all. I figured I was worrying over nothing. I haven't used dry yeast in so long, as I always try to get the smack packs, so I forgot to re-hydrate in my haste. I was just wondering if the yeasties would be stressed, and/or that some might die off. Is this the case?

I just checked the carboy and it a very light krausen is begging to form. Are there any down sides to a long lag in fermentation?

Thanks, all. I figured I was worrying over nothing. I haven't used dry yeast in so long, as I always try to get the smack packs, so I forgot to re-hydrate in my haste. I was just wondering if the yeasties would be stressed, and/or that some might die off. Is this the case?

I just checked the carboy and it a very light krausen is begging to form. Are there any down sides to a long lag in fermentation?

You'll still make beer, not to worry there. However, you are correct in that not re-hydrating is poor practice that will kill up to 1/2 of the yeast cells immediately due to excessive osmotic pressure on the cell walls from the high density wort. If you want to make the best beer possible, re-hydrating dry yeast properly is mandatory.

The possible negatives associated with long lag times are yeast stress from an excessive growth phase, which could lead to off flavors, along with increased time for an infection to take hold before a sach-driven fermentation takes off.

All that said, your beer will probably turn out OK...just not the very best it could be. Lesson learned, we've all been there. :mug:

No issues with long lag time. Don't freak out as this yeast will have a long lag time regardless of your rehydrating or not.

It'll finish quick but will take a bit longer for the krausen to drop, so just be patient.

No issues with long lag time. Don't freak out as this yeast will have a long lag time regardless of your rehydrating or not.

It'll finish quick but will take a bit longer for the krausen to drop, so just be patient.

Thanks for the input, FATC1TY! I literally just found a thread on this yeast this morning and started reading it before work. It does seem like many have had a long lag time before active fermentation with this strain, and that it does finish off quickly.

This was a recipe of Doug's that I had not seen before....Sir Hopsalot...brewed with 6 oz. of Centennial.

I'll definitely be patient, and let it run it's course...one of the many things hombrewing has taught me it patience.

How's the brewing been going? I'm thinking of switching over to all grain the next few months...is the offer to come over and observe a brew day still on the table? I am also thinking of going to HopCity's all grain brewing class. Do you have any experience with it, or know of anyone that has?

Topher79 said:
Thanks for the input, FATC1TY! I literally just found a thread on this yeast this morning and started reading it before work. It does seem like many have had a long lag time before active fermentation with this strain, and that it does finish off quickly.

This was a recipe of Doug's that I had not seen before....Sir Hopsalot...brewed with 6 oz. of Centennial.

I'll definitely be patient, and let it run it's course...one of the many things hombrewing has taught me it patience.

How's the brewing been going? I'm thinking of switching over to all grain the next few months...is the offer to come over and observe a brew day still on the table? I am also thinking of going to HopCity's all grain brewing class. Do you have any experience with it, or know of anyone that has?

I have seen that recipe but I have not brewed it. Sounds good. Centennial is a nice hop.

I haven't brewed much, I was up there Saturday milling some grain for a DIPA.

The offer to come over and brew one day is still there. I'm closing on my house around the end of the month so mid feb ill be back up brewing again. Ill message you and we can make something one day for sure. Maybe a saison or something.

I haven't done any classes before. I hear the hopcity ones are good but there homebrew section is kinda small and I don't know how much they offer in terms of homebrew assistance and knowledge. I'm sure it's good though but I haven't done it myself.

I have seen that recipe but I have not brewed it. Sounds good. Centennial is a nice hop.

I haven't brewed much, I was up there Saturday milling some grain for a DIPA.

The offer to come over and brew one day is still there. I'm closing on my house around the end of the month so mid feb ill be back up brewing again. Ill message you and we can make something one day for sure. Maybe a saison or something.

The grain bill was nice, and I am a fan of centennial, so I figured why not? I was up there Saturday as well...from 10:45 till around 12:30..I got this recipe and the Columbian Mules Foot, which I am thinking I need to do a starter for, but am unsure.

Thanks for the offer on brewing, I'll be looking forward to it. The wife and I took a hiatus from house shopping, but we are about to jump back in the game.

I agree with you that HopCity has a small homebrew dept...and the prices aren't that great, either. From what I have read about the classes is that they are nothing special. So, I'll probably just jump on into it soon.

The grain bill was nice, and I am a fan of centennial, so I figured why not? I was up there Saturday as well...from 10:45 till around 12:30..I got this recipe and the Columbian Mules Foot, which I am thinking I need to do a starter for, but am unsure.

Thanks for the offer on brewing, I'll be looking forward to it. The wife and I took a hiatus from house shopping, but we are about to jump back in the game.

I agree with you that HopCity has a small homebrew dept...and the prices aren't that great, either. From what I have read about the classes is that they are nothing special. So, I'll probably just jump on into it soon.

Must have just missed ya. I was there later, like 3:30 or 4 I think it was.

The Columbian Mules foot is a good recipe. I used it as a base, and changed a few grains and made it a bit bigger for an Imperial Stout.. Haven't drank much of it yet, it's been sitting around since early October. It's a tad boozy at 11.5% right now.. hah!

If you bought the complete recipe, I'm thinking that he included 2 smack packs of yeast.. Want to say it's the irish ale yeast perhaps. If not, then you'll need a starter for it.

The Columbian Mules foot is a good recipe. I used it as a base, and changed a few grains and made it a bit bigger for an Imperial Stout.. Haven't drank much of it yet, it's been sitting around since early October. It's a tad boozy at 11.5% right now.. hah!

If you bought the complete recipe, I'm thinking that he included 2 smack packs of yeast.. Want to say it's the irish ale yeast perhaps. If not, then you'll need a starter for it.

Wow! 11.5% that's a nice beer for a bad day, or a celebration! I did buy the entire recipe, and received (2) smack packs, thanks for letting me know indont need a starter. I am going to secondary mine for a month, if possible. I actually had to buy this one 2x, as I had my carboy break while I was taking to the fermentation area (spare bathroom)! Doug was an awesome guy and and sold it to me for 1/2 price!

Thanks again for all the help and advice...it really helps with my "*******" moments.

Wow! 11.5% that's a nice beer for a bad day, or a celebration! I did buy the entire recipe, and received (2) smack packs, thanks for letting me know indont need a starter. I am going to secondary mine for a month, if possible. I actually had to buy this one 2x, as I had my carboy break while I was taking to the fermentation area (spare bathroom)! Doug was an awesome guy and and sold it to me for 1/2 price!

Thanks again for all the help and advice...it really helps with my "*******" moments.

Have fun with it. I might get the recipe and do it as intended next time instead of changing it up. I love a good porter and it's a good recipe. It needs some age on it though, so brew it, give it 3-4 weeks, and then secondary it for another month. If you bottle, then it'll be 3 months old before you get to it which will be a good amount of time I think!

Have fun with it. I might get the recipe and do it as intended next time instead of changing it up. I love a good porter and it's a good recipe. It needs some age on it though, so brew it, give it 3-4 weeks, and then secondary it for another month. If you bottle, then it'll be 3 months old before you get to it which will be a good amount of time I think!

Heck yeah, man! I'm definitlely going to sit on it. I don't plan on trying it until May or June. Stouts and porters are among my favorites, and I enjoy 'em year round. I'm planning on using 8 o'clock coffee but wondering if a bolder blend, or an espresso blend in hopes that it might give it a little more coffee in the nose and flavor upfront.

Heck yeah, man! I'm definitlely going to sit on it. I don't plan on trying it until May or June. Stouts and porters are among my favorites, and I enjoy 'em year round. I'm planning on using 8 o'clock coffee but wondering if a bolder blend, or an espresso blend in hopes that it might give it a little more coffee in the nose and flavor upfront.

I stopped off at Fresh Market in PTC on my way home and went in and grabbed some fresh whole beans and ground them for the brew there. Used some good coffee and thought it was worth it.

I stopped off at Fresh Market in PTC on my way home and went in and grabbed some fresh whole beans and ground them for the brew there. Used some good coffee and thought it was worth it.

Sounds like a plan...I didn't think of grinding fresh in store

Well, the krausen has been growing steadily since yesterday, and I would say the yeasties are chugging along! I'm about to attach a blow off tube...

image.jpg

I'd give it a tube, and check the temp. I haven't had the BRY-97 go that wild from the couple of beers I've made with it.. They are all in the 1.058-1.070 gravity range too.

I'd give it a tube, and check the temp. I haven't had the BRY-97 go that wild from the couple of beers I've made with it.. They are all in the 1.058-1.070 gravity range too.

Just put the tube on about 30 min ago. I pitched (2) packets into 1.069 OG. The temp is still holding at 62 per the femometer. I wasn't expecting it to get this crazy!

image.jpg

Back