Did my yeast go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pale Horse

Reaction score
Soooo, I bought some Wyeast the other day, well I got sidetracked when I got home and left it in the bag at room temp for about 4 or 5 days :mad::mad:

As soon as I found it I threw it in the fridge, so did it go bad? Is it possible to go bad?

I mean, should I run up to my LHBS and grab some more.

What do you guys think? Smack it and see if it swells?

I would hate to ruin a batch because of my yeast. TIA

you could go buy another one, smack this one, build a starter for it. If it swells and you make a good starter, then you've got an extra packet of yeast, if it doesn't swell, then you've got a backup

you could go buy another one, smack this one, build a starter for it. If it swells and you make a good starter, then you've got an extra packet of yeast, if it doesn't swell, then you've got a backup

True, but I was planning on making it on Sunday, and tomorrow I have tix to a football game, so I can't make it to the LHBS and they are closed sunday. So is it possible to basically do everything but (if it doesn't swell) add the yeast? Then go on monday or tuesday and get a new one?

My bad if these questions seem simple, but I guess this is the best way to learn

I don't think its ruined. Some smack packs spend 5 days in the back of a UPS truck before they show up at your house. Make a starter and you'll be fine.

What kind of yeast is it and what are you brewing? It wouldn't hurt to pick up a packet or two of dry yeast as a backup but I'd go ahead and smack the yeast pack anyway.

you certainly can, but if it turns out that your yeast is dead, by not pitching viable yeast for a day or two, you're really increasing your chances of getting an infection.

I am working on my secnod brew (Honey Brown) and I made the mistake of using a liquid yeast that has not be refrigerated for a two weeks. It has been 24 hours and the yeast is dead. Can I still save the batch or do I need to dump and try again?

Thanks,

James

I am working on my secnod brew (Honey Brown) and I made the mistake of using a liquid yeast that has not be refrigerated for a two weeks. It has been 24 hours and the yeast is dead. Can I still save the batch or do I need to dump and try again?

Thanks,

James

If you didn't make a starter for liquid yeast, it can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. Wait until that time period is over, then check the SG. If there has been no fermentation, you can add another package of yeast.

I just learend about starters tonight. I did not make a starter but would still expect to have some action withing the first 24 hours. If I need to add more yeast will it cause any problems with the flavor of the brew? I am sure it is much more resilyant that I give it credit for.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for the heads up... Worked out fine and I just moved to the secondary. I think it will be a good Ale. I will let you know after it is done.

J

Back