Did my yeast die a miserable death?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie22

Reaction score
Las night, I made a 2L starter for my package of White Labs 001. Put it on a stir plate in the garage/brewery that stays around 70 with the heat on. My wife decided to pull her car in and turn the heater way up to take the chill off. She usually leaves it up for a couple minutes then turns it down. Well, the heat didn't get turned down last night and this morning it was 100 in there. I checked the starter and there was evidence of krausen on the inside of the flask but it had since fell back down. Did I kill my yeast? Should I make a new starter and try again to check viability? Thanks

Before you throw it out, I would check the SG every 12 hours over the next 24-36 hours to see if it's working on the sugars.

Of course that suggestion isn't helpful if it's already ran it's course.

Thanks for the replies. Krausen had reformed by the time I got home. Looks like a healthy starter again

I usually rehydrate my dry yeast at 100-105 F. Since you already said they survived, congratulations!

I wouldn't drink anything fermented that hot, though.

If the starter wort got that hot, I'd definitely decant it before pitching the yeast. 001 is very neutral, but if it was propagating at those temps it may have created some nasty aromas/flavor compounds that you don't want in the finished beer.

Back