Did my starter grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I know it's hard to tell from the pic, because it's in a 1 gallon jug. I pitched a Wyeast smack pack into a 1 liter starter. I was expecting more, but maybe there's a lot there and it just doesn't look like it because of the large jug? I plan to do another step because it's for a 1.073 IPA. The smack pack had a manufacture date of mid January.

Edit: maybe it's a 2 liter starter. I have a difficult time with numbers...

I know it's hard to tell from the pic, because it's in a 1 gallon jug. I pitched a Wyeast smack pack into a 1 liter starter. I was expecting more, but maybe there's a lot there and it just doesn't look like it because of the large jug? I plan to do another step because it's for a 1.073 IPA. The smack pack had a manufacture date of mid January.

It's hard to tell from the pic because there isn't one.
What was,the gravity of,your starter?

You have more yeast than what you started with ( ; I would decant off the top layer as much as you feel comfortable then stop. Swirl up the rest to get the yeast layer off of the bottom, then pitch it all in.

Decant the spent wort and check its gravity. It should. Be very dry if the yeast has grown fat and multiplied. Looks good in the pic BTW. Dark but I'm guessing that's the flash on the camera.

image.jpg

It was sitting only for a few hours. The darkness is because of the pics. I still thinks it's enough, but I don't have a stir plate and work long days so the shaking is few and far between at times.

It's ok that's alot of yeast spread throughout a bigger vessel. Think of what's in a smack pack or white labs tube and yeah you've got plenty. Just looks smaller because of the larger surface area in the gal jug. I use the same for my starters and what in there now would prob fill a couple white labs tubes.

Back