Did my pump ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

Reaction score
Just transferred a hazy IPA to the keg. I usually use an autosiphon, but decided to try my luck at a pump so I could transfer the beer into the keg while it was already in the keezer. The way I did it was to hook the auto-siphon to the in side of the pump, pump the siphon a few times to prime the pump, and then turn it on to do the transfer.

The transfer went fine, but the beer went into the keg extremely foamy. Is this (1) the pump knocking the co2 out of solution (and so it'll be ok), or (2) did the pump aerate the **** out of the beer and it's going to be terrible? If (2) could I have done anything differently to avoid this. I guess I'll find out in a few days, but would like to know sooner to help calibrate expectations.

I think the CO2 got knocked out. Otherwise, where would it keep producing bubbles from if the hoses weren't compromised. For peace of mind I would try the same transfer with water and Starsan to see if you get the same bubble action. My reasoning being that if the Starsan is getting aerated, it would foam. If it just turbulent, it may bubble a little, but not foam up too bad.

I think the CO2 got knocked out. Otherwise, where would it keep producing bubbles from if the hoses weren't compromised. For peace of mind I would try the same transfer with water and Starsan to see if you get the same bubble action. My reasoning being that if the Starsan is getting aerated, it would foam. If it just turbulent, it may bubble a little, but not foam up too bad.

Thanks! It transfers water/StarSan without bubbling or foaming. I'm worried that I somehow messed up the process in transferring the beer, but hopefully it's just my general neuroticism. This makes me feel better.

Back