Did my first all-grain (& full boil) beer today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowerMillHillBackyardBrew

Reaction score
First, I haven't posted much here, but ten thousand million thanks to everyone else who have posted and from which I've learned a lot! :mug:

1 year ago I knew nothing about homebrewing. Sometime in august 2010 I started researching how to brew beer, and quickly discovered HBT :rockin: Eight batches of kit&kilo, steeping, and partial mash has passed by since then. Half an hour ago I pitched the yeast into my first all-grain (& full boil) batch of beer (11 liters, almost 3 gallons, the most I could do with my current equipment and ingredients)!

The beer became a SMaSH IPA-ish beer after some tweaking, with pale ale malt (my LHBS know nothing about beer, but it's probably either Maris Otter or Weyermann) & Amarillo hops.

I used a BIAB-inspired method with some inspiration from Deathbrewer's "Stovetop All-Grain" method, and everything seems to have been going well! I hit my mash temperature spot on, and ended up with an efficiency of 60 % and an OG of 1.047 (slightly less than the expected 1.051, but now I know and can adjust for later batches)!

I used a blender for "milling" the grains, so I had everything from flour to whole grains in the mash, but most of it was crushed as it should be. That might be a reason for my somewhat low efficiency?

Anyhow, it was fun and I think the beer will be great!

Recipe (metric):
2,9 kg pale ale malt
15 g amarillo @ 60 mins
7 g amarillo @ 15
7 g amarillo @ 10
7 g amarillo @ 5
7 g amarillo @ 0

The name of this beer is: "Tgecwsoajn - The Golden Eel, Crying, While Sucking On Angelina Jolie's Nipples" (!) (long story, but it's a weird combo of the phrase "all grain" which, in norwegian, with some imagination, can sound like a norwegian phrase meaning "eel cried", + a song by ween called "the golden eel" + a thread here comparing a full boil to sucking on angelina jolie's nipples.....)

So again, thanks to HBT for being a treasure trove of amazing information!! :mug:

Oh, I also drank homebrew while brewing! That probably helped! :cross::drunk::D:mug:

Back