Did my first AG batch today, BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
Things went pretty smoothly, though my efficiencies were much lower than I was hoping for.

3 gallon batch

6 lbs 2-row
1/2 lb Crystal 60
1/2 oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
1/4 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
1/4 oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
1/2 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 minutes

I started with 5.5 gallons of water, overshot my target of 160 F so I added some cold water to bring it back down. After dough-in I was at 150.5 F so I fired up the burner to bring it back to 152 F. Mashed at 152 F for 60 minutes, heated to 168 F and mashed out for 10 minutes. Got 5.25 gallons of wort in the kettle after squeezing the bejeezus out of the bag. Pre-boil gravity = 1.035, a bit lower than the 1.040 I was shooting for. Boiled for 1 hour, chilled and whirlpooled. Got 3.5 gallons of wort in the kettle post-boil, 3 gallons of very clear wort into the fermenter. OG = 1.045, quite a bit lower than I was hoping for, but the hydro sample tasted really good and I should get a very drinkable lawnmower beer out of this.

I just have to work on the efficiencies. I'm pretty sure I actually mashed hotter than I intended to, and adding water to cool the mash water diluted the mash somewhat. I also just used the standard LHBS grind. Next time I'll have to ask him to double-mill it.

Overall I spent 4 hours and 40 minutes from lighting the burner to finishing clean-up, which is about an hour longer than I normally take for an extract plus steeping grains batch.

IMG_2236.jpg

Congratulations! Feels good doesn't it!?!? The true sense of accomplishment will come in the first pint! Invite a friend who knows beer to share the first pour.

Take good notes so you can refer back in a cpl years for a reminiscent giggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back