Did my beer go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrelly

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had my rye beer in the secondary fermenter now for about a month and a half. I don't usually wait so long; I just haven't gotten around to bottling it. Today, I went down to the basement to have a look at it and I noticed a white film floating on top of the beer. It looks like mold to me. Is this batch toast? Should I just dump it out? Sorry about the blurry pics, but it is hard to take a pic of the top of a glass carboy.

Looks pretty bad to me.

Thanks
Devin

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

I would say bottle it. I had something similar happen to one of my batches that looks just like what you had, and it turned out just fine. Looks like yeast rafting.

I have had something very similar. I stopped racking when the top got close to the end, and avoided that stuff. Turned out fine!

Dont be surprised if that stuff settles down into your beer. When I moved my carboy to rack to my bottling bucket all the stuff that was on top ended up floating to the bottom, and it still ended up fine.

Back