Did my 2 batches get infected????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbonnel

Reaction score
HI All,

Sorry, this is a little long, but wanted to give a breakdown of the brewing process.

I decided, after a little over a year, to brew a couple of batches. I picked up two brewers best kits from my local shop, and everything went well. (brewed a falconer's flight, and a witbier). Everything seemed to go well during the cook and initial racking into the primary. My OG on the falconer's flight was spot on, and my witbier was a little lower than the range identified. I must have added a little too much water to get too the 5 gallons.

The fermentation of the falconer's flight was pretty typical, starting about 12 - 16 hours after pitching the yeast, and didn't seem too aggressive. (I kept the room temperature around 67 - 69. It seemed to finish about 7 days after starting, and the krasen fell pretty quick after that. The Witbier also started around the same time frame, but it was super aggressive, creating nice bubbles out of the 3 piece airlock for a couple of days.

My plan was to let them sit in the primary for 14 days or so, and then keg them, skipping the secondary this time around.

After the witbier's fermentation slowed down, about 7-8 days, I had to add additional star san solution too the airlock since it had gotten low due to the aggressive fermentation. I took it off, sanitized the cap/airlock, filled the airlock, and put it back on. Fermentation continued for another 5 days. At about the same time, 1 day later I believe, I added the final hops to the Falconer's flight, and sanitized-filled the airlock.

Everything seemed to be going fine, even though the krasen in the witbier didn't seem to want to fully fall down.

And then it happened. On day 13, the heater I used t keep he room at 67 - 69 somehow went crazy, and just decided to keep heating the room. It must have happened before I went to sleep (end of day 12), as I checked on everything prior to turning in. (it's just too much fun to watch the process!!!) When I check in the morning (about 8 hours, start o day 13), the rooms was a nice toasty 78 - 80 degrees, and the temp gauge on the carboys was around 75 - 76 degrees. I shut the heater off, opened some windows, and cooled the room down, back to the 67 range. The beer's temps followed suit, and settled around the 65 degree range. The only thing I noticed was the condensation at the top/inside of the carboy was a little more than it was prior to the incident.

Now that the background is done, my plan was to rack the beer into my kegs today (Day 14). I never payed too close attention in the previous days, but I did see the following in both carboys, and I couldn't tell if it was something too worry about, or nothing at all. Here are some pics:

First pic attached, IMG_20170112_065731.jpg, is the falconer's flight, and some strange white thing on the carboy.

The second pic attached, IMG_20170112_070109, is also the falconer's flight, showing a different angle.

The final pic attached, IMG_20170112_070335, is of the witbier. It has a few of these little white dots around, but they almost look more like bubbles.

Based on everybody's vast experience in home brew, are my batches infected with something?

I am pretty crazy with the clean / sanitize process, and probably go overboard, but anything is possible.

My goal was to take a final gravity today, and rack into kegs, but if it is pretty clear I have an infection, then I guess this round is a bust :(

Again, sorry for the long post.

Kimo

IMG_20170112_065731.jpg

IMG_20170112_070109.jpg

IMG_20170112_070335.jpg

TL;DR

but those pictures look fine to me except that the heat might of effected your yeast and they tossed some off flavors.

Yeah, we can't really tell an infection unless we see the top of the beer itself, but I'm sure it's fine. I've had beers up in the mid-70s before during fermentation and everything came out fine. For future reference, lots of yeast strains like lower temps, like low 60s. I usually ferment between 60-64 degrees, so you may not need a heater depending where that room is in your house. Small fluctuations in temp are fine.

If you could post a pic of the beer, we'd be able to give you a more definitive answer. But after reading your post, I'd say you have nothing to worry about really.

For future reference, lots of yeast strains like lower temps, like low 60s. I usually ferment between 60-64 degrees....

This is good to know. I remember when I was brewing one of my first / second set of batches that the fermentation didn't seem to want to start, and it was suggested to kick the temperature up as a cold temp could result in that. Now I am looking forward to doing another batch to test this out :)

I will take some pics at lunch and post.

Kimo

This is good to know. I remember when I was brewing one of my first / second set of batches that the fermentation didn't seem to want to start, and it was suggested to kick the temperature up as a cold temp could result in that. Now I am looking forward to doing another batch to test this out :)

I will take some pics at lunch and post.

Kimo

Nice - it's fun to experiment with various yeast strains. I just did a spiced christmas/holiday ale as a present for family and friends, and I used a specific liquid yeast that produced a fruitier taste at lower fermentation temps. I kept it at about 63 degrees and now there's this really nice citrusy/banana (not a bad banana taste) taste to it. It works well with the spiced taste/aftertaste.

Some strains will tell you the preferred temps (not just the range) and say if there are certain flavors/qualities that can be achieved with specific temps.

here are the pics

The last two are the falconer's flight, and the rest are the witbier (with all the spice bits floating around still.....)

IMG_20170112_124120.jpg

IMG_20170112_124131.jpg

IMG_20170112_124151.jpg

IMG_20170112_125554.jpg

IMG_20170112_124102.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

That was going to be my next step as I was planning on taking an FG (and taste it) and then racking into the keg as I will have the siphon all ready and I have my doubts that the witbier's krasen will completely fall.

Thanks for the feedback.

That was going to be my next step as I was planning on taking an FG (and taste it) and then racking into the keg as I will have the siphon all ready and I have my doubts that the witbier's krasen will completely fall.

If your not bottling it thats even better. Say I was wrong and it is infected you won't have to worry about bottle bombs or anything. So if it taste/smells good you should be solid man.

Looks safe to me! If you give the carboy gentle swirl a lot of that crud will sink to the bottom.

FYI. I racked both beers into my kegs. I took a FG reading, and both ended up within the range the instructions called for. They smelled great, and tasted great!.

They are in the kegerator now cooling down and getting some CO2.

Will let you all know how they turn out.

Thanks

Kimo

fyi. I racked both beers into my kegs. I took a fg reading, and both ended up within the range the instructions called for. They smelled great, and tasted great!.

They are in the kegerator now cooling down and getting some co2.

Will let you all know how they turn out.

Thanks

kimo

nice!

Back