Did I start my dry yeast right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DUCKSHOT

Reaction score
I was told to put it in warm water for 30 min and then pitch in my wort since my liquid yeast did not take off. Is that right?

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
I use to put about 4-5 ounces of water in a pyrex cup, then nuke it to boil. Cover it with syran wrap and let it set to cool off. I usually did this at the start of brewing so that it's cool to the touch by the time I need it. Dump all the yeast in the pyrex cup and let sit for about 15 minutes then pitch. Notice I said "use" to. Now, after reading about this method from others here, I simply dump the yeast on top of the wort once it reaches room temperature. I've never had a problem doing it this way yet and that's been about a dozen or so batches.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Sounds like it should be okay to me as long as the water was warm and not hot. Personally I don't bother rehydrating anymore, I just dump the dry yeast in when I use it.

OP
D

DUCKSHOT

Reaction score
I used a little warmer than luke warm in a water bottle for 30 min. I stirred up my brew real good and pitched the yeast and as of this mornin my air lock was bubblin and right now its goin crazy so I must have done something right.
Thanks for the help guys:mug: