Did i screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
I know this sort of question gets asked all the time. So sorry about asking but here goes.

So i brewed my first batch on feb 6 from muntons gold ipa kit and i left out a bit of water to raise the alcohol a bit. I put in 4.6 gallons instead of the recomended 5. I then fermented between 63 and 71 with most of the time aroun 67. I saw no airlock activity at all other than the liquid pushing to one side of the s shaped airlock. I talked to a guy at the brew shop.and he said thats to be expected because i left out some water and it was in a 6.8 gallon fermentor. So i left it for 13 days to ferment in primary. The water in the s shaped airlock evened out for about about the past five days now. So i decided to bottle it today. Oooh i forgot to mention that the OG was 1.050 - i also took the sample from the fermentor long before it cooled and waited for the sample to cool.... Im thinking i should have waited to take the sample. Ok so today i did the math for how much corn suger to use for 4.6 gallon batch and boiled that in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes. Added to my bottling bucket and allowed to cool before siphoning my beer onto it. I then bottled it. Oooops i forgot to take the FG before adding he priming sugar. Oh well - so i took a sample from what was left in the bottling bucket and it was at 1.020. So my question is really - did i possibly just make a sh@t load of beer bombs because my FG is so freaking high? Keep in mind i left out water to raise the sugar and just bottled with a high FG. I also should mention that there was a krausen ring on the side of the bucket.

Thanks.
Sorry about this post being scattered. I typed it on my phone.

Well there's a possibility that your beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled. So it may finish doing the job in the bottle, which could give you some over carbonation.

Bottle bombs are unlikely. I've carbed beers up to 3.5 volumes in a regular bottled with no problems, and have read they can take up to 5 volumes. Just fyi standard carbonation is 2.5 volumes. And that's what most kits tell you to carb to.

To stay on the safe side I would put them in the bathroom so if something does blow up it can be easily cleaned. Wouldn't hurt to put a few towels over the cases too.

The kit came with 3/4 cup corn sugar. So i weighed it and it came out to 120 grams. So i divided 5(gallons) by 120 and that came to 0.0416. I then divided 4.6(gallons) by 0.0416 and that came to 110.57. So to answer that question I put in 110 grams of corn sugar.

A side note. You may have a poor seal on your fermenter. This would account for no bubbling during fermentation. Not a big deal though. I just like to watch the bubbles.

Alright, thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry about the newb freak out. But, understandably - bottle bombs are probably something to worry about.

So just out of curiosity; what would be a bottled FG that would make somebody worry about beer grenades?

Alright, thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry about the newb freak out. But, understandably - bottle bombs are probably something to worry about.

So just out of curiosity; what would be a bottled FG that would make somebody worry about beer grenades?

Well, it really would depend on the recipe, and the OG of the beer. Sometimes a stout is done at 1.024, for example, but that might freak me out if it was a cream ale. Some ingredients aren't very fermentable, and some extracts don't ferment much below 1.020.

Yeah, it was a muntons ipa extract kit that came free with my bucket setup and gear. The guy at the brew shop said that its really just a standard pale ale.

I tasted this brew at 6 days in the bottle. Already pretty damn good. Sure glad i put in those extra hops. It could still use a bit more aging though. And to be honest if anything, it ended up being slighlty undercarbed (but carbed well enough). Im sure a little longer in the bottle would fix that. So for anybody out there (fellow newbs) who is worried about bottle bombs for a similar recipe and gravities dont worry too much. It will probably turn out fine.
Happy brewing.

Yeah, it was a muntons ipa extract kit that came free with my bucket setup and gear. The guy at the brew shop said that its really just a standard pale ale.

i had the brewers best Ipa and it really was nothing like an ipa more of a darker serra nevada just not as bitter what was the name of the company u used?

Back