Did i screw up the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilli

Reaction score
Made my first homebrew and I rehydrated the yeast at about 105 degrees. Did I kill the yeast?

JoeyChopps said:
U may have killed some of them but how long did u leave them in the hot water before pitching?

About 3 minutes then I pitched them into wort that was about 60 degrees( I cooled too much). Should I get some yeast. Thanks for your help.

I would wait 24-48 hours to see if the yeast takes off if not re-pitch if I had to put money on it I bet it will be fine

I assume I will know when the yeast takes off but I don't want to assume. Does that mean when the stopper is bubbling quite a bit.

Can it be any kind of yeast or should I try to get the yeast that came in the kit

Are u using a bucket or a carboy? If a glass carboy u will see a thick head on top of ur wort called a krasen.(it will be in a bucket too u just can see it without removing the top) in initial fermention your airlock should be going crazy. As for getting more yeast my closest homebrew shop is an hour and a half away I would wait it out before driving to get more(granted I keep extra on hand). Next order buy a couple of extra packs of yeast for just in case reasons. Even though this may not be the most popular opinion I use to just sprinkle my yeast on top of my wort. There was a really cool article in brew your own that talked about sprinkling compared to re-hydrating u should check it out.Chopps

Chopps thanks for your help again. I am using a bucket. I have up in my living room right now which is about 70 degrees. I pitched the yeast about five hours ago. Don't see anything yet. I will check tomorrow morning to see if it's going.

Well it's was not an eventful 24 hours. There was no bubbling in the airlock and a hydrometer reading showed no change from the previous reading. Thus I purchased another pack of the same yeast and pitched it about 2 hours ago.

Back