Did I screw up bottling day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. So I just bottled a one gallon batch of an American cream ale. I had 9 sanitized 12oz bottles. When I finished the 9th bottle I saw that I still had some beer left in the bottling bucket. So I grabbed two bottles that were in the case & filled them up. I didn't realize till afterwards that I hadn't sanitized the bottles. However. The bottles were brand new, & had never been used before. They were still in their original packaging, & were sealed shut. So no dust or bugs could have gotten in. Did I screw up bottling day?

Hello all. So I just bottled a one gallon batch of an American cream ale. I had 9 sanitized 12oz bottles. When I finished the 9th bottle I saw that I still had some beer left in the bottling bucket. So I grabbed two bottles that were in the case & filled them up. I didn't realize till afterwards that I hadn't sanitized the bottles. However. The bottles were brand new, & had never been used before. They were still in their original packaging, & were sealed shut. So no dust or bugs could have gotten in. Did I screw up bottling day?

Similar story, for what it's worth:

Ended up with an almost full bottle when the bottling bucket went dry, so my wife and I took sips out of it to try, as we usually do. Then, later I went to clean the bottling bucket and realized there was enough left in it to top off the bottle we had previously drank from. So I decided to just pour in the extra and cap the bottle (but marked it).

Neither of us could later tell any difference between the "contaminated" bottle of beer and the rest. Now, the bottle WAS previously sanitized but then two people drank from it (and then it sat open to the air for awhile, as did the beer at the bottom of the bucket).

My guess is that 1) the bottles you mention, even though brand new, were not sanitary...but 2) the odds are still in your favor that everything will be fine.

Keep those last ones seperated from the others and consider it an experiment to see what/if there is any difference

Keep those last ones seperated from the others and consider it an experiment to see what/if there is any difference

Odds are you'll be fine, however it's good practice to give them a good wash and sanitize even if they're new

Label these and see if they're different when opening them up

Thanks fellas. I sure hope your right. The last two bottles that we're not sanitized have a different color cap on them, then the others. So we'll see how they turn out.

Back