Did I ruin my pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFSbrew

Reaction score
Hey all. I did my first partial mash last night and it went well-sort of. I did everything you normally do for a mini mash with a partial boil. When I got to cooling my wort i did my whirlpool additions and got the wort down to about 140 when I realized I had forgotten to add the rest of the extract! So I stopped cooling, added the extract to a gallon of water, boiled it and added it to my cooling wort. Will this affect it in a negative way? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Oh, I think you did exectly what you needed to. You'll be just fine. But, if you have any doubt, start another batch just in case ;) That's what I always tell my SWMBO, "Dang I think I ruined this batch I need to go get another just in case".

Thanks for the reassurance. Haha. Yeah I think ill use that as an excuse to make another batch and buy another keg.

Even if you didn't stir it in it should eventually assimilate itself into the wort and will ferment out just fine.

You should be fine. I used to do late extract additions to my batches to keep the color on the lighter side (depending on the style I was going for). You boiled it, which is good so you should be in the clear as far as any contamination. As long as it dissolved in the boil (which it should have) you're good to go.

Back