Did I ruin my oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-

Was making Jamils oatmeal stout recipe and things were pretty much right on track until I decided to wait before cooling and transferring to my carboy. I started a whirlpool and decided to let it sit for about an hour to take care of something else. When I got back I realized that the burner was on...

So the puppy was boiling after adding Whirfloc for about an hour.

Prior to that it was smelling great, afterwards it smelled different. I added some water to decrease the OG and then cooled into the fermenter. Gonna pitch after bubbling it for a while...

Irreconcilable with a tasty brew or not a big deal?

Thanks

It shouldn't really change it too much if you diluted to the correct volume. It might finish with a slightly high FG, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for an oatmeal stout.

Wait, that's a 120 minute oatmeal. It's a good thing the only hops are those goldings hops, because I'm pretty sure it's going to be more bitter than intended.

Wait, that's a 120 minute oatmeal. It's a good thing the only hops are those goldings hops, because I'm pretty sure it's going to be more bitter than intended.

I'm sure it will be slightly more bitter, but hopefully not too bad since he diluted.

I was worried that the whirfloc would add something undesirable. OH and it was covered the whole time... The room had this great smell while I was not paying attention., but the final beer had lost that wonderful aroma.
I just took a gravity from the final batch at 1.055. So I think I was pretty close on my dilutions.
I am using Wyeast 1335 so hopefully that will attenuate better than 1968. Only one way to see!

Glad it is not a total bust!

The whirlfloc won't hurt anything. At the worst it just won't do its job, but I imagine that it still might work.

Latest posts

Back