Did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funke910

Reaction score
I just recently started home brewing and last night I brewed my 4th batch of beer. It was my first non 'kit' beer. I got the blood orange hefeweisen recipe out of Sam Calagione's book. I bought a glass carboy to ferment in this time, in the past I have used plastic buckets. I came home at about 5PM today (18 hours into fermentation) and the bubbles had come up through the airlock and gotten everywhere.

I sanitized my syphon and took out about 22 ounces and put them in a bomer bottle and capped it. I cleaned off the cap and the airlock and put them back on. First question, what will happen to the wort that I put in the bomer bottle? Will it carbonate itself or explode? Second, and most importantly, is the rest of my beer going to be ok? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The rest of your beer will most likely be OK , it happened to me several times.

As for the bottle, I suggest your uncap it or you may experience the bottle bomb thing... Either fit an airlock on it and let it ferment, or discard it. Or drink it. Your choice !

Cheers !

funke910 said:
I just recently started home brewing and last night I brewed my 4th batch of beer. It was my first non 'kit' beer. I got the blood orange hefeweisen recipe out of Sam Calagione's book. I bought a glass carboy to ferment in this time, in the past I have used plastic buckets. I came home at about 5PM today (18 hours into fermentation) and the bubbles had come up through the airlock and gotten everywhere.

I sanitized my syphon and took out about 22 ounces and put them in a bomer bottle and capped it. I cleaned off the cap and the airlock and put them back on. First question, what will happen to the wort that I put in the bomer bottle? Will it carbonate itself or explode? Second, and most importantly, is the rest of my beer going to be ok? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

First off, IMMEDIATELY go uncap that bottle and dump it!!

Second, the rest should be ok as long as you sanitized. Look into a blow off tube to prevent that from happening in the future. Easy to do, prevents messes spilling over. I've had a bunch do that, and finally broke down to get a blowoff tube. I have never had any problems

First off, uncap that bottle! It likely will explode. Second, look up blow off tube, sounds like you need one. Other than that, RDWHAHB, the beer will be fine.

Edit - guess we all had the same simultaneous panic reaction. :)

Lol.....I really didn't mean to make a bomb. Everyone is safe and the bottle is uncapped. I just thought it might be an interesting to see what happened since i had to get rid of it anyways. Thank you so much for your quick help.

chickypad said:
First off, uncap that bottle! It likely will explode. Second, look up blow off tube, sounds like you need one. Other than that, RDWHAHB, the beer will be fine.

Edit - guess we all had the same simultaneous panic reaction. :)

Ya, I don't think it would take too many hours to build up enough pressure to make a bomb!

funke910 said:
Lol.....I really didn't mean to make a bomb. Everyone is safe and the bottle is uncapped. I just thought it might be an interesting to see what happened since i had to get rid of it anyways. Thank you so much for your quick help.

Disaster averted!! :) let us know how it turns out.

I wish i could have seen some photos of the mess, on my first brew i had a blow off tube hooked up and it was running into a 12 oz. cup and it overflowed in my cup and created a huge mess in my closet, was very funny to see. On the bright side the closet smells great now.

Back