Did I move to Secondary Too Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nulfire

Reaction score
Ok, so I am new and this is my first batch, blah blah blah. You've heard all that before ;)

This is a Brewers Best Wit kit. I cooked it up on 12-28 and had pretty heavy fermentation (bubbling) almost right away. Today, I noticed it had pretty much stopped (about 48 hours) and moved it to a 5 Gallon BB. This was done BECAUSE the instructions recommended a secondary, and to move it after fermintation had slowed down, but not completed. I actually had high blood pressure because I was sure I had waited too long.

A couple things:

1. Yes, I now realize a secondary is not needed.
2. Yes, I should have measured the gravity before doing ANYTHING.
3. Yes, I probably should have done nothing and let it sit for 2-3 weeks, then bottled.
4. And of course, I made other, smaller, mistakes. But this is the biggie.

That said, how bad is this stuff going to be?

Thanks in advance!

You seem to already know the correct answers, so RDWHAHB. As far as how is it going to turn out? I'm sure it is going to be fine. After only 2 days in the primary there was still lots and lots of active yeast in suspension. I'm sure it will finish out just fine.

Edit: One other thing: IMHO, Brewer's Best has a chimpanzee that writes their kit instructions... Nearly all of them are worthless.

Awesome. Thanks, BigB.

FWIW, now that it is moved there seems to be a renewed fermentation, as the the airlock is bubbling every 6-7 seconds. I think I'm going to just let it lay there for a couple weeks then deal with bottling.

I'm slowly starting to gather that the BB kits aren't exactly top notch. Is there a better brand of kit to try as a starter?

i remember when i started, i used muntons, as their kits seemed to be better talked about, and the results were tasty (for extract). as for this 1, let it sit for 2-3 weeks this time, and it'll be fine :mug:

I'm slowly starting to gather that the BB kits aren't exactly top notch. Is there a better brand of kit to try as a starter?

I quit using kits a while ago, but I really liked the Brewers Best IIPA kit I brewed...one of my favorite beers, extract, PM or AG!!! And I thought their instructions were WAAAAYYYY better than True Brew kits...those are definitely written by a retarded chimp (I believe it is also REALLY high :drunk:)

Just get your method down and they are fine. You seem to have found some of the best advice on this forum so ignore some of the instructions, practice good sanitation habits, leave 'em in the primary for 3-4 weeks, RDWHAHB!!!

There are a ton of great extract recipes on this site as well and nothing feels better than putting it all together yourself rather than pulling it out of a box and you usually get MUCH fresher ingredients therefor much better beer

Welcome to your new addiction :mug:

I have only been using kits, mainly from Northern Brewer, but I leave them in the primary for at least a week (no longer than 2 though). But after listening to you, DONT WORRY, have a home brew.... Just leave it in secondary a little longer an you should be fine...

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. Yup, I'm definatley hands off with this batch for a couple weeks.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I would just keep an eye on the gravity, a lot of people say never trust the air lock - but it sounds like you already know that :) As for switching to Secondary I dont think it really matters WHAT is ferments in just keep it out of the light and at a consistent temperature. Good luck!

Brian

The nice things about the kits is that they package everything together. So, when starting out in the hobby when things seems a bit confusing, it gives a person the chance to research and learn (thanks, HBT) so you will find out what you can change and by how much and still stay within certain "limits". Then when you realize that things aren't as complicated as you first thought, you can venture to extract brews with grains and other flavourings, hops and procedures.

What I am trying to say is that I don't believe a person is 'wrong' with most kit brews and many procedures can be experimented with so when you read it her eon HBT you can say, "Yes, I know that."

B

Thanks, Brian. I guess can't exactly expect perfection out of a 75 cent part :) Definatley out of the light and at a constant 70 degrees.

Hey B, it's like TANSTAAFB says, "Welcome to you new addiction". The experimentation and depth of variables will keep me interested well beyond kits. Though, for now, I am going to try some different styles with kits so I can get a better idea of how they should taste and why.

Thanks, Brian. I guess can't exactly expect perfection out of a 75 cent part :) Definatley out of the light and at a constant 70 degrees.

Hey B, it's like TANSTAAFB says, "Welcome to you new addiction". The experimentation and depth of variables will keep me interested well beyond kits. Though, for now, I am going to try some different styles with kits so I can get a better idea of how they should taste and why.

NOW you got it :D

OK, so we bottled it today. Tasted pretty good (drank last 2-3 ounces left in the bottling bucket) but was a little hoppy or some other out if character taste. But stiill good. Hopefully a couple weeks in the bottles will tame em'.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back