Did I mess up my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnycrk

Reaction score
Made a two liter starter fermented for two days on stir plate, pulled the stopper and blow off tube out and replaced with tinfoil, placed it in the fridge and decanted the beer on top and built another two liter and put it on top of the yeast. Gave it another two days on the stir plate then put it in the fridge. This time I didn't pull the stopper and replace it with tin foil, I Just threw the whole flask and and jar of starsan in the fridge and it sucked back almost the full quart mason jar of starsan into my starter am I screwed? I know its starsan but it was sitting on the counter with the blow off tube bubbling away in it then sucked back into my starter once I chilled it do you think its still ok? I'm going to be splitting this yeast into to four quart mason jars to save for future batches and dont want to save bad yeast. Any ideas?

No I'm going to decant the beer and star san and only use the yeast at the bottom.

You could make another starter to see if the yeast is still viable. If you get rid of all the fluid above the yeast, it might be ok.

I agree with hophop. decant as much of the liquid as you can and do another starter to make sure that you didn't kill off the yeast. $2 worth of DME is a small price to pay instead of just pitching it out.

I agree with hophop. decant as much of the liquid as you can and do another starter to make sure that you didn't kill off the yeast. $2 worth of DME is a small price to pay instead of just pitching it out.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I split into four jars last night, threw it in the fridge to let the yeast settle. Tonight I'll decant the water on top of one of the jars and build another 2l starter for a Imperial Red Ale I'm brewing this weekend. I'll save the other three jars for future batches. I'm pretty sure that everything will be okay.

Just to let everyone know the starter is happly fermenting away, so I think everything is ok!

Latest posts

Back