Did I mess up my first lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYoda

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm pretty embarrassed to say this but I was using my Kegerator as a fermentation chamber and I thought that was laugering at 67 °f but it turns out I was fermenting at 45°f because I didn't set my temperature right. I can hear that there's pretty active fermentation going on but I'm really at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do right now. Should I increase the fermentation temperature 67 degrees or should I leave it right where it's at? This is my first lauger so I really appreciate any input. Thanks!

S-23? The lagering temp (at least how I read it on brewsmith) was 2 weeks at 67 and then one week at 65

Warm it up to the recommended range, and it will turn out fine. For future reference, going higher in temp produces off flavors, while going too low may slow fermentation but will produce no off-flavors. Far better to err on the side of too cool, even to the point of stalling the yeast. It'll wake up, and if not you can pitch more yeast, but either way the flavor will be clean.

This is literally the best news I could have hoped for! Thanks for the protips guys I set it to 55 and I'll hope for the best!

Back