Did I mess up my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lblanton1

Reaction score
So it was only my second run at brewing (first one turned out good), but it was my first time steeping and using LME over DME. That being said, after it was all said and done, I went to stick the airlock in and the rubber on the hole fell into the brew. I panicked and grabbed a ladle out of the kitchen (forgot to sanitize) scooped it out one of my fingers also hit the top of the brew. I got it out, but i am worried it is spoiled because there is an odor that I wouldn't describe as good or bad, coming from the fermenter? Could this be bc of the way I made it or is it spoiled? Also, last batch I made the airlock bubbled very slowly and then picked up throughout the week, this one was bubbling extremely rapidly the next morning. Any insight to any of this would be helpful.

Also- it is a Belgium Wit

It's a wait and see, I doubt it effected anything... assuming the ladle was from your kitchen stock and not from, say, the basement in a tub of old shirts. The smell from the airlock is sometimes pleasant and sometimes not. Bubbling is no indication of anything, temps might be making it work more this time, they are all different. If you see black or anything else than the picture below, worry but even if it's infected it doesn't mean you need to toss it.

a1756375-106-krausen.jpg

krausen.jpg

Hi what temp is your fermenter sitting at ? What yeast did you use on the batches? Some are more aggressive then others. As far as the bung goes I did the same thing on a mead I made and it's just fine. No infection has formed and it's been fermenting for over a month now. So I think your ok there. Let her brew.

I lube the stem of the airlock with Starsan from my trusty spray bottle. Goes in easier & sanitized to boot.

Also- it is a Belgium Wit

For what it's worth, I brewed with a Belgian yeast once and it smelled, as has come to be the affectionate term in my home, like "rhino fart".

Very slim chance you've infected anything.

I've done some pretty dubious things to my beer pre-fermentation, never having a bad result. On the other hand, after fermentation I've made some mistakes and had beer go bad. I think beer is much more vulnerable after it ferments. If you get a quick to start and strong fermentation I think it creates a hostile environment for anything to take hold.

Google 'microbiology hurdle theory', it will make you feel better.

Back