Did I make bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilamman

Reaction score
I just bottled an imperial stout, might first stab at this style. Three weeks in the primary bucket, then racked to glass carboy. Took a measurement and it came out at 1.030, I was expecting under 1.025 (OG = 1.085). I then added a pack of dry yeast (irish ale) to give it a kick restart. Left in secondary for two weeks. Temp approx. 65F. Then bottled adding 5 oz corn sugar. FG = 1.023.

Questions: was I too impatient with the primary? Secondary? What is a typical or common time frame for primary and secondary with this style? Admittedly I became very worried about the beer spoiling, although I am confident in my sanitation. Like a dolt I didn't refer to my batch recipe which called for 2.93 oz sugar and went with the more common 5 oz for most beers. Did I just make a batch of bottle bombs? Is this an issue I should worry about or just let time tell me. I'm wondering if after a couple days I should open the bottles to release the pressure and immediately recap the,. Or am I begging for problems with this?

Obviously I'm still a bit of a newb doing first then asking such questions second, so I appreciate all your thoughts.

Don't open them. They aren't likely to be bottle bombs and opening them will only cause undue oxidation. They will be more carbonated than originally intended, but I bet the beer will taste fine.

RDWHAHB

They won't be bottle bombs, they will just be slightly overcarbed for the style. Probably pour a nice proud head though...

Coming from Bottlebomber I take great comfort in that response, lol. I kinda knew to expect a nice heady brew. At least it'll look great. Actually the beer tasted great at bottling, so I'm really looking forward to this batch.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Back