Did I let oxygen into my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a fridge holding two kegs, I brought my co2 tank and one of my co2 lines to my friends to use for a party. I realized I forgot to disconnect the quick disconnect co2 line from my other keg (full keg of beer), When I got home, I tried pouring a pint assuming there would still be pressure in the keg...Nothing came out, obviously the pressure came out since the co2 line had nothing on the other end to stop it.

My question is, not only did the pressure/co2 seep out of my keg, but could oxygen have entered the keg, ruining the beer?

I don't think the CO2 leaked out of the keg. I think some of the CO2 in the headspace dissolved into the beer and went into solution. Unless their is a leak, no additional O2 would enter.

While you were gone, the QD was still connected, and it had a gas line with an open end that was formerly connected to a regulator, or manifold, or wye, or something? If so, I'd think you might have gotten some oxygen into the headspace. That gas line is open for CO2 flow when you're hooked up to the tank, so I don't see why it wouldn't also be open for air.

If you've already put the gas back on, vent the keg a few times to purge, just to be safe.

In any event, it will take a while to notice the effects of oxidation, especially if the keg is stored cold. If you drink it quick enough, you'll never find out.

I would definitely hook the co2 line back up and purge it a few times, but I wont have my tank back for another 24 hours.

But thanks for the responses guys!

Back