Did I kill the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Blake

Reaction score
About 5 days ago I started my homebrew kit and followed the directions to the letter. After maybe 48 hours the thing started to foam and bubble up and was starting to get really active. But 2 days ago I put a base heater on in the room because it is colder than the rest of my house. I set it to 72. Now the foam is gone and there are no bubbles in the carbuoy. Did I kill the yeast by making it too warm? I've turned off the heater but I'm concerned the yeast will no activate again. Can I add more yeast? Have I killed the batch?

Don

About 5 days ago I started my homebrew kit and followed the directions to the letter. After maybe 48 hours the thing started to foam and bubble up and was starting to get really active. But 2 days ago I put a base heater on in the room because it is colder than the rest of my house. I set it to 72. Now the foam is gone and there are no bubbles in the carbuoy. Did I kill the yeast by making it too warm? I've turned off the heater but I'm concerned the yeast will no activate again. Can I add more yeast? Have I killed the batch?

Don
No you didn't. It's probably just done fermenting.

The active part of fermentation only takes 2-3 days. After that it is done producing CO2 and will be doing the cleanup and then begin clumping up and settling out. Now it just needs time to clear before bottling so ignore it for another 10-14 days. Then take 2 hydrometer tests at least a day apart to verify that the fermentation is complete. If the readings match you can then bottle the beer when you have time. It could be the day of the second hydrometer test or you could wait another week or three.

The active part of fermentation only takes 2-3 days. After that it is done producing CO2 and will be doing the cleanup and then begin clumping up and settling out. Now it just needs time to clear before bottling so ignore it for another 10-14 days. Then take 2 hydrometer tests at least a day apart to verify that the fermentation is complete. If the readings match you can then bottle the beer when you have time. It could be the day of the second hydrometer test or you could wait another week or three.
If the fermenter is air tight, that is correct. Otherwise I would just wait till the yeast has settled and then bottle asap as oxidation is on its way and the infection potential is also greatly increased with leaky buckets (talking from experience).

The two hydrometer readings can be done, but personally, I wouldn't open the fermenter before bottling after ten days +, but I got my process nailed and know the yeasts that I use finish within a few days. So that is a matter of personal choice.

Ok all, thanks for the help. I just took a hydrometer reading and it is now at 1.020. I will let it sit for a few more days before adding sugar and bottling.

Cheers

Ja if anything, the extra heat in the room helped the yeasties. Let it ride for a while, until you see no foam, then take readings and bottle IMO. Best of luck!

-M.

Latest posts

Back