Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryH

Reaction score
I made my first beer 2 days ago, an American Pale Ale. 12 hrs after I put my airlock on it was bubbling but I did not think air was escaping so I took the airlock lid off for 24 hrs., it did not bubble without it. 12 hrs ago I realized I was wrong and put the lid back on but it is still not bubbling. Did I kill my yeast by removing the lid for 24 hrs? Sorry if this sounds dumb but its my first try.
Thanks,
T

First off, no, it's not dead. Second, well what do you mean by
"took the lid off"? was it open to the air? Did you cap it with something else? If you left it open, there is a chance you'll get some infection in there... if you capped it, no worries.. it's just waiting for more food...

The lid for the very top was removed but the plastic cup whose bottom rests in the water was still there. If its only 48 hrs old does it really need more food?

I think you're talking about the lid to the three piece airlock, not the lid to the bucket or carboy, correct? If so, don't worry about it. It's possible that most of the fermentation has already taken place, hence the lack of bubbles. Let it alone for at least a week, then take a hydrometer reading. Meanwhile, RDWHAHB.

I think you're talking about the lid to the three piece airlock, not the lid to the bucket or carboy, correct? If so, don't worry about it. It's possible that most of the fermentation has already taken place, hence the lack of bubbles. Let it alone for at least a week, then take a hydrometer reading. Meanwhile, RDWHAHB.[/QUOTE]

Correct, I did not take off the bucket lid. I did not think it would go that fast. If the hydrometer reading is off how do I fix it?

I think you're talking about the lid to the three piece airlock, not the lid to the bucket or carboy, correct? If so, don't worry about it. It's possible that most of the fermentation has already taken place, hence the lack of bubbles. Let it alone for at least a week, then take a hydrometer reading. Meanwhile, RDWHAHB.

Correct, I did not take off the bucket lid. I did not think it would go that fast. If the hydrometer reading is off how do I fix it?[/QUOTE]

It depends on what it is. I'm sure you'll be right in the ballpark for the final gravity, but if not we can give you some pointers.

Back