Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euclid34

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch using a gifted Mr Beer Kit. I decided to supe things up a little bit by adding some grains to the boil (half pound 60L crystal, along with a 10 min cascade hop boil, and replaced the Mr Beer yeast with Safale US-05.

I am about 32h in and see no visible signs of fermentation. I am trying to be patient but I am wondering if I may have killed my yeast during the rehydration process... I went to my local homebrew store and they told me it was best to rehydrate dry yeast (which I have found in my research to be quite the topic of debate) and said to 'boil some water in the microwave, add the yeast, and let it sit for 20 min before pitching.' I followed these instructions and pitched. since I have not seen any signs of fermentation at all, I have been brainstorming and am wondering if I may have killed the yeast as the water may have been to hot when I added the yeast. I didnt measure the temperature, but I looked up the US-05 rehydration instruction and I should have allowed the water to cool to 90 or so first.

I should also note that I did not aerate as vigorously as I maybe should have. The fermenter has been at 64F since the pitch.

I figured that I would give it a little bit more time, but I am not very optimistic its going to get started knowing i may have scorched the yeast and I am considering buying more US-05 and repitching. If so, I am thinking I will activate at the proper temperature and aerate, unless aerating with all the theoretically dead yeast is a bad idea.

Any input is appreciated!

Since you don't know the temperature when you added yeast, we sure don't. It's only been one day, too soon to tell, but for $3, cheap insurance to just add more yeast.

The dead yeast are fine, won't hurt a thing (if they are dead).

Yes, if the yeast was added to boiling water, or near boiling water, then you killed it. Poor instructions from LHBS- they should have said Boil and let cool down to 90ish before adding yeast for rehydration.
Get new.
Also, aeration is not as important when using dry yeast, because you are starting off with a much higher yeast #s and not relying as much on growing a mass of new yeast. So, I probably wouldn't bother at this point, just add new yeast. Good Luck!

I went to my local homebrew store and they told me it was best to rehydrate dry yeast (which I have found in my research to be quite the topic of debate) and said to 'boil some water in the microwave, add the yeast, and let it sit for 20 min before pitching.

If I'm reading that correctly and you hydrated you yeast with boil water. Then yes the yeast is dead. Just pitch a new pack of yeast and you will be fine.

I usually heat the rehydration water up to 90F or so, figuring there'd still be some oxygen dissolved in the water to help the yeast along.

Since we have taken care of the yeast issue, one other recommendation... You said you added c60L to the boil. Don't know how long they were in the boil, but I would advise against adding grains to the boil. That high of temps can extract excess tannins from the grains and make your beer very astringent. If you want to add specialty grains, just steep them before the boil at about 152 degrees.

I just pitch the yeast dry, never any problems. I am more curious about you adding grain to the boil. Does Mr. Beer not come with instructions?

I love the concept of looking things up after the fact, I do that all the time.

I just pitch the yeast dry, never any problems. I am more curious about you adding grain to the boil. Does Mr. Beer not come with instructions?

Thank you all for your input!

I did not accurately describe my process, I did infact steep the grains at about 170 for 30 minutes before i brought the wort to a boil. The grains were out during the boil.

Yes, Mr Beer came with instructions, but the HME it came with was the "Light American Ale" so I decided to supe it up, and thats where I ran into problems. I did not use the yeast that came with the kit and didnt correctly understand the 'rehydrating' technique described by my LHBS. I am glad that I made the modification as I have learned a lot... I had to really carefully retrace my protocol to troubleshoot.

I will look for any sign of fermentation tonight and if I dont see anything I will go ahead and add another pack of dry US-05 as suggested. I am glad it sounds as if I will be able to salvage this lot to see what this recipe yields!

Yes, it did come with instruction but I wanted a more enchanced homebrew experience rather than adding HME to boiling water.

I should clarify that I did not boil the grain, I misspoke in my initial post. I steeped the grains @170F prior to boil.

Sounds like I should be able to salvage something here, I will confirm no signs of fermentation tonight and add another packet of dry US-05, without aeration.

I appreciate all of the advice!

Just an update that 24h after addition a krausen appeared and things look like they are underway just fine, krausen still here at 48h. Temperature increased from 64-68 on sticker thermometer in the time between 24 and 48h. :)

Back