Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

febbrewro

Reaction score
I bought a vial of White Labs WLP007 liquid english ale yeast, along with some hops from the LHBS. Not thinking, I stuck the whole bag in the freezer, since I wasn't going to be brewing for about a week and wanted to keep the hops fresh. Well, when my brew day came, I discovered the frozen yeast. Are my yeast dead, or is it still usable? I took it out of the freezer and stuck it in the fridge, its been there since.

I just had a customer of the store do something like that. His fermenting freezer temp controller died while he was on vacation, and it froze 12 gallons of fermenting beer. I talked to White Labs personally and they told me to have him just bring the beer up to temp slowly and it should be ok.... He did, and the beer took off just like they said it would. Also the beer is just fine. I, myself would make a starter to make sure of the viability of the yeast.

ISTR the brothers White mention something about a freeze cycle taking off 10% of yeast viability or something. So like Jay said, NBD but make a starter to be sure.

Thanks for the info. I'll use it for my next brew, and make a starter for sure. I've never made a starter before so I guess I'll get to learn a new skill :mug:

Back