Did I kill my yeast with Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eobie

Reaction score
So yesterday we brewed two beers. An IPA and a robust porter. IPA went with out a hitch. The robust porter had major foam after the transfer to the carboy. I went to pour my hydrated Nottingham yeast into the carboy but I almost came up the top of the neck. I grabbed a spray bottle of Star San ad sprayed it down the neck on to yeast I had already poured in. Maybe two sprays worth. That got the foam down so I poured the rest of the yeast in followed by a swirl of the carboy to make sure it all got mixed up.

This morning, the IPA (with US-05) and already had airlock activity with krausen. The porter had nothing, which I found odd for Nottingham yeast as its been about 10 hours and that strain is usually a fast starter. So, as the title says..... Did I kill my yeast with the Star San? This isn't a case of being scared of the foam. I like the foam. But what about spraying right on it?

The Starsan will have no effect on the yeast. IMO the delay is just because the Robust Porter is a bigger beer and it will take the yeast longer to do their work.

10 hours is a bit early to truly expect activity from any yeast. It's nice when they start sooner but I wouldn't worry for quite a bit longer.

Good to hear. Can't say that I'm not worried though. The last stout I did blew the bung out (which hit the ceiling) within 10 hours. I'm sure I'll be relieved when I get home... oh the anticipation!

There is viable yeast in your krausen that will blow out the top of the carboy.. Usually you ferment 5gal in a 5gal container and after the beginning krausen blows out you can collect the remaining blowoff in sum "starsan" and decant the yeast and save it.. I haven't done it or read up on it in a while so google would be your friend on this :mug:

I should have known not to fret. They are alive!

image-3027300658.jpg

haha.. nice eobie.

Yes, part of what makes this hobby so great is that every one of us has thought we screwed something up along the way but 9 times out of 10, it results in great beer!

edmanster said:
I read somewhere that you can actually top crop from a blowoff tube into starsan for saving yeast!!

I hace thought about trying this. Next time i have blowoff ill have to make a starter.

star san will kill yeast in a high enough exposure - it wouldn't be an effective sanitizer if it didn't

a couple of sprays won't hurt but I don't think you'd get much viability from collecting yeast in a jar of star san

I read somewhere that you can actually top crop from a blowoff tube into starsan for saving yeast!!

yeah yeast washing is kinda a misnomer in homebrewing. what we do really is yeast rinsing. when commercial breweries wash their yeast they take their yeast and wash it with an acidic solution. the acid kills off any bacteria because they can't live in the acidic environment but the yeast can. I know star san is an acid sanitizer so I'm wondering if using star san would be a good way to yeast wash at home.

yeah yeast washing is kinda a misnomer in homebrewing. what we do really is yeast rinsing. when commercial breweries wash their yeast they take their yeast and wash it with an acidic solution. the acid kills off any bacteria because they can't live in the acidic environment but the yeast can. I know star san is an acid sanitizer so I'm wondering if using star san would be a good way to yeast wash at home.

That's a great question Tinga! Hopefully somebody with knowledge and experience will post an answer.

Back