Did I kill my yeast and how do I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ageek

Reaction score
This is my first post. Thanks to everyone on this forum, I have never been unable to find an answer that I needed in the past.

This is my 4th batch of homebrew and I have been refining my techniques while reading these forums and a few books.

I brewed an Amber Ale yesterday and I could not have been happier about how everything went through the entire brew process. The sample tasted great.

Instead of pitching dry yeast right into the carboy, like I have done in the past, I decided to re-hydrate the yeast this time. I boiled some water and put it in a pyrex cup, added the yeast and covered it with plastic. The issue is that the book I read said to put it in cooled boiled water, I did check the temperature when I added the yeast and it was 170F, I missed the "cooled" part. I waited 15 minutes to stir the yeast and it was a little foamy and you could smell it. I waited another 20 minutes before I pitched it. It had settled into a creamy layer on the bottom with some cloudy water on top. I stirred it real quick before I pitched it.

The wort was 71F when I pitched it and the carboy has been holding at 68F for 24 hours. I have no krausen, the foam that was on top from aeration has settled back into the wort, and no airlock activity at all. My concern was that I killed the yeast when I added it to water that hot. Since it has only been 24 hours, I was going to wait another day and see how it goes.

If I do not have any activity, can I pitch more yeast? Should I just add it or re-hydrate it correctly this time? Will adding more yeast impact the flavor or anything else about the beer?

Thank you all in advance.

You COULD wait another day to see if it gets going, but I'd say there is a 99% chance that yeast is toast. I would probably just rehydrate correctly another packet and add it. Overpitching at the homebrew level is pretty hard to do and since the yeast that you pitched is probably toast, I doubt you'd be overpitching anyhow.

You COULD wait another day to see if it gets going, but I'd say there is a 99% chance that yeast is toast. I would probably just rehydrate correctly another packet and add it. Overpitching at the homebrew level is pretty hard to do and since the yeast that you pitched is probably toast, I doubt you'd be overpitching anyhow.

I would even go as far as saying that the yeast is 100% dead.
170 degrees is too hot.
Get another packet of dry yeast and pitch it ASAP.

Thank you both for the replies.

I will head down to my LHBS this morning and get some new yeast.

Thanks again for the help!

the yeast is dead. no big deal just sprinkle a new pack on the wort and rdwhahb:)

Yeah, you can heat the water up in the microwave to the correct temp which I believe on dry yeast is between is between 98 and a 104 to rehydrate it or just direct pitch onto the wort.

But yeah that original pack is hosed. throw on another.

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

I re-hydrated some new yeast, at the correct temperature this time, and pitched it yesterday afternoon. This morning I have a bubbling airlock and a krausen forming on the top.

Thank you again to everyone. I am very excited to try this batch.

For hydrating mines just make sure what I using is clean and use like warm tap water (same as I use for the beer) and never had an issue

Back