Quantcast

did I kill my bottling bucket?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
Holy crap! I finally screwed up! I knew this was going to happen one day!

So last time I brewed I used my new wort chiller & when I was done I put it in my bottling bucket which was full of starsan to clean it up. Well, some how the lid got put on the bucket( i blame this on my bro but we were drinking :tank:) & I forgot it was in there. anyway 4 weeks later I get around to bottling & there it is, the bucket stunk, part of the copper was shiny & the tubing had a film on it. So I tried to clean it out & put new hot starsan in & rinsed. still had a slight smell. but being in a hurry & already having everything ready to bottle I went ahead & used it. I'm now thinking maybe I shouldn't have? maybe this smell will get in my beer? Guess I'll now in about a week...

thinking of just buying a new bucket, any thoughts?

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Does it still smell? I'd taste the beer you bottled, if it tastes fine, don't worry about it.

OP
Brewmiser

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
At first I thought the beer smelled funny but the I realized it was just my hands that stunk. most likely from cleaning the bucket. the beer is an extra pale ale & taste like cascade hops.....
:rockin:

I did clean my bucket again after bottling & it still smells funny (like metal)

maffewl

Reaction score
Not sure about the current beer that you just bottled, a taste test is the only answer for it... but I don't think the bucket is ruined. I would go get some oxyclean or PBW and let it soak in the bucket over-night and see if that doesn't do the trick. Star-San is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. If it still has a smell after that, it may be time for a new bucket.

OP
Brewmiser

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
Not sure about the current beer that you just bottled, a taste test is the only answer for it... but I don't think the bucket is ruined. I would go get some oxyclean or PBW and let it soak in the bucket over-night and see if that doesn't do the trick. Star-San is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. If it still has a smell after that, it may be time for a new bucket.
I'll give that a try

OP
Brewmiser

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
Jbrookeiv. just signed up for Pintley, good luck on winning beer for life!

Latest posts