Did I kill my beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofbell

Reaction score
I brewed a 5g batch of an Irish Red Ale. It was taking along time to get down to a sufficient temp to pitch the yeast, I ended up letting it sit for about 6hours over night. I went to pitch the yeast when it was a temp and when I opened the smack pack yeast amd nutrients went everywhere. I then had to go on a yeast finding mission. I eventually was able to pitch a dry ale yeast instead. It was about 15hours after brewing when I finally pitched. I am now getting ridiculous amounts of Krausen. Way more than usual. Did I kill my beer or should it still. Be OK.?

I think you'll be OK. If you sterilized everything and used good sanitary technique, I don't think you'll have any worries. The big Krause is probably due to a good fermentation

You're probably ok. Did you keep the wort covered before pitching? Also, infected beers get worse over time as the baddies do their thang. Your concern is a solid excuse to drink faster ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did the same thing with a Black IPA I jsut brewed a week ago I couldnt for hte life of me get the temp down and I sat overnight! Rehydrated US05 and Ihave insane amounts of krausen way more than I am used to seeing. Hopefully turns out well for me too!

Yeah I kept it covered then put on an airlock. The krausen blew that off the next day. I have never had that much, I always have plenty of head room. I kept everything sterile and now have it outfitted with a blow off hose. Thanks for the good words.

Back