Did I just ruin my Craft Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nautalus01

Reaction score
I have brewed a craft cider (from a kit) I was very happy with the taste and was using brewer's best conditioning tablets to prime carbonation. after bottling and using the specified amounts I found that these tablets are not just sugar, apparently they are dextrose, malt extract and heading powder...

my question is: by my use of this product with malt extract, did I just ruin my cider? Has anyone ever used this before?

Might be a little graff-like but it'll be fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So they are just for carbonation?

You'll be fine. The amount of fermentation that occurs for carbonation is minimal. I'd bet that nobody will taste the difference.

It's not craft cider if you use a kit. Craft cider starts with apples.

A little harsh, isn't it? All cider starts with apples, but the kit manufacturers presumably press those apples for the cider maker. There are no rules anywhere that I have found that compels the cider maker to press his or her own apples. I made a few gallons of hard cider this year but I asked a local orchard to press their apples into my buckets. What does that make my cider - chopped liver?

It is a craft cider as the juice conentrate was pressed from cider apples specifically for the home brewer. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's not craft cider if you use a kit. Craft cider starts with apples.

I guess I need to fire my local orchard. He does the planting, the picking and the pressing. Now I gotta plant apple trees too? Do craft brewers grow hops and barley?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back OT, the cider will be fine. A lot of us add malt extract to our ciders on purpose, and in much larger quantities than what you did. I doubt you'll even be able to taste it.

does malt extract have some amount of non-fermentable sugars? seems like this would be the easy way to get a sweet, sparkling cider, without having to use xylitol or pasturizing.

Back