Did I just kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlehanz

Reaction score
I use a spare boil pot to sanitize most of my equipment. Just now I threw a smack pack of yeast into it to sanitize the packaging before I opened it. What I didn't remember is that the water in the pot was about 110 F. The pouch swelled up to about twice what it was in the 5-10 minutes I left it in there. So, did I kill em'? I'm thinking I might have stressed them a bit, but I'm hoping someone experienced will just tell me to RDWHAHB......

Thanks

It is possible the yeast are fine, but I wouldn't chance it. I would make a starter to check for activity...and build strength after stressing the yeast.

:off:Not to call you out or anything but plain water at 110 F is not adequate for sanitizing, if that is what you were trying to do.

110ºF? I suspect they are probably still okay, though I would certainly make and evaluate a good starter to revitalize their poor little boiled selves. Everything I've seen puts short term (3 minute) thermal death at about 135ºF.

But 110ºF starsan does a pretty good job :D

Based on the fact that the OP forgot the water was hot, I'm assuming he wasn't relying on temperature for sanitation. At least that's not how I read his post.

It was Star San and 110 F water.

As far as a starter, my equipment for making one is supposed to be showing up tomorrow.....I'm thinking I better hope I can find another smack pack today and throw it in. That can only help can't it? If not today, maybe tomorrow?

It was Star San and 110 F water.

As far as a starter, my equipment for making one is supposed to be showing up tomorrow.....I'm thinking I better hope I can find another smack pack today and throw it in. That can only help can't it? If not today, maybe tomorrow?

Yes another smack pack will help. I never use liquid yeast without a starter.

Yes another smack pack will help. I never use liquid yeast without a starter.

I'm going to have to get another one tomorrow. All the LHBS' are closed today :(

Another lesson learned I suppose. Hopefully adding more yeast tomorrow won't be a big deal?

And this is exactly why I ordered a batch of stuff to make my own yeast starters.

I do have some Wyeast yeast nutrient, but the directions said to add it with 10 minutes left in the boil and I forgot to do that as well. What a day.....

Yea, being as I brewed with a bit of a hangover today, amongst other things, I forgot to get the OG. But Beersmith projected it to be about 1.094, so I'm well over the 1.060 mark. And I've always hit the targeted OG within a .002 or so.

I'm just going to go grab a second pack tomorrow and throw it in and hope for the best.

1.094? You need 3 smack packs minimum for a beer that big.

I've been told that, and I've never had a problem pitching one pack the other time's I've made big beers. Not that I don't believe 2 or 3 packs would work better, I've just never had a problem with it taking off and going. Of course, now watch what happens; My beer won't do a damn thing :)

I think I'll grab two more tomorrow! :mug:

I've been told that, and I've never had a problem pitching one pack the other time's I've made big beers. Not that I don't believe 2 or 3 packs would work better, I've just never had a problem with it taking off and going. Of course, now watch what happens; My beer won't do a damn thing :)

I think I'll grab two more tomorrow! :mug:

People are much too quick to use the word "need" when talking about starters. Wild brewers know that you can ferment an entire batch with a single airborne colony. That said, you can also make "beer" by pitching bakers yeast into Mountain Dew.

Yeast population dynamics have an enormous impact on beer flavor. Too little yeast will most certainly ferment — often to expected FG — but that's not to say there aren't negative consequences. Too little yeast can cause too much of somethings like fusels, phenolics, or diacetyl and too little of other things like style appropriate esters and other aromatics. Now that you've got a starter kit coming, do a side-by-side comparison sometime of the same batch. I've always been able to notice a significant difference :mug:

Are there any drawbacks to using to much yeast?

Yep, though it is probably a bit more forgiving in that direction. Some amount of yeast growth is necessary for flavor compounds. The one time I tried pitching directly on a yeast cake, the beer tasted like absolutely nothing.

Yeast pitching rates are a very effective way of tweaking a recipe once you have a sense of how it should go.

Well, this morning there was no activity and no krausen at all. I know it can take up to 3 days for activity to happen, but I was fairly certain I ruined the yeast. So I bought two more packs and pitched them this afternoon. As of right now there's about 4 inches of krausen and it's bubbling like mad. I needed more yeast for this beer anyway, so I think I'm back on the right track.

Thanks for the replies.

a good lesson on why to keep an extra packet of nottingham, or US-04 (or whatever you use the most) in the fridge =)

Back