Did I just have a perfect brew day?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I decided to go for a low gravity brew to try to test my brew rig and also as something fun that I've never done. So I decided to try my smallest amt of grain yet. I went w/7.5 lbs of grain. 7lbs of 2row and .5lb of 120L. I set my temps for a 148 degree mash. I hit 147.9 in the mash tun, and I was pretty excited about it! Then I go through the sparging and I hit my sparge water at exactly 180, which was pretty cool too.

I boiled for 60 min and turned on the chiller at exactly 60 min. Cooled down to 68ish and transferred to the fermenter. I took a temp reading in the fermenter and was at 70 degrees exactly, and then I threw in 68 degree batch of 1272.

My OG reading out of the fermenter was 1.048! Which according to my calculations put me at 95% efficiency! (5.5 gal batch) So I either had a really awesome brew day, or this thing is going to have some crazy bad off flavors! I'll update accordingly. Just wanted to post cause I've never had a day where everything SEEMINGLY when right! Cheers! :mug:

Great, glad to hear you had a good brew day. There's nothing quite like the feeling of nailing your numbers. I do a low gravity beer about every other brew and my efficiency is generally very good with smaller grain bills. Most of mine finish low, 1.004 or 5 and are very quaffable. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back