Did I inadvertently mash 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinghamtonEd

Reaction score
So I was working on a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone extract recipe that I found. It called for 1 lb 2 row. So I picked up a pound, had my LHBS kindly grind it for me. I started off by steeping that in 2 quarts of water at 150-155 for 45 minutes, stirring gently pretty frequently. On my last 2 batches I used a small hop bag to contain the grains while I steeped. Since said bag is currently in the bottom of a bucket of IPA, I just dumped the grains in the water. After 45 minutes, I dumped the contents through a fine strainer into my boil pot (I do boils of 2 gallons). Poured hot (~170 deg) water over the grains, then proceeded with the rest of my brew. Also, not sure if this is related, but my OG ended up .05 points above calculated. I had 3lb DME and 3.3lb LME and ended up at 1.057.

What impact will this have on my beer, as opposed to just steeping for 30min at a slightly higher temp?

2-row is a base malt & has to be mashed to start with. You can't steep it,as it is mostly starches & the enzyme needed to convert them to sugar in the mash. I've seen some of those recipes in Best of BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes mag. I keep wondering if it's a typo?

I've seen some of those recipes in Best of BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes mag. I keep wondering if it's a typo?

Not sure, but that ship has sailed for me. From what I've read, I probably should have let it go for at least another 15-30 minutes. Wondering if I'll end up with more unfermentables.

Yeah, you're right about the FG. I don't have super high expectations for this batch anyways. I got distracted by my daughter and accidentally threw the hallertauer in at 15 instead of 5, ended up not having enough lemon zest, ended up with a lot of cold break in the bucket. I expect it to be drinkable, I just don't give it a high chance of being close to the SA clone. Oh well, guess I'll just have to try and try again. If all of my mistakes resulted in drinkable beer, I'd be a happy man.

Well,you'll wind up with more flavor than aroma from the goofed hop addition. But you can always add a bag of lemon zest in secondary...

Yes, you mashed it, see how easy it is. Conversion will happen pretty quick at those temperatures.

+1.
And if you got 5 extra gravity pts from that one lb, assuming a 5 gallon batch that's about 70% efficiency. Easy peasy!
:mug:

Edit: just noticed you said .05, you mean .005 right?

Haha, yes, sorry, .005. And those extra gravity points does not necessarily mean that those are all fermentable sugars, correct?

Bing. Is Doc's HB still in business?.....Try mashing more grain in the next batch and back off on the powder or syrup to compensate.

Yep, I work just down the road from them, and was just in there on Friday. I'm over in Endicott, and I try to get most of my supplies from a new brewery/store there that popped up recently (just because they're nice guys and have the lowest prices), but anything they don't have, I get from Doc's.

Edit : I have a pot that I can do 2.25 gallons max in for a boil. I was thinking next time I could get 5 lbs of grain and mash that in the pot, then when it's done, pull the grain bag, and just proceed on in that same pot with the rest of the brew. Sound reasonable? Also, do you think the LHBS folks get annoyed at grinding grains for people? Granted, I'm only a few batches in, but I could see how it would get old for them. I just don't have the money right now to spend on a mill. If I buy a mill, well, then, there goes my money for that batch.

Also, do you think the LHBS folks get annoyed at grinding grains for people? Granted, I'm only a few batches in, but I could see how it would get old for them. I just don't have the money right now to spend on a mill. If I buy a mill, well, then, there goes my money for that batch.

Nah, they are used to it, personally I enjoy crushing cereals it smells great. Usually at my LHBS when they get done a crush of mixed grains they stick their head in the bag and take a big whiff. It's likely just a quirk but to me it shows passion for what you do. Their job is pretty awesome, don't feel bad about taking advantage of a service they offer.

Plus wait until you start ordering grains for big AG quads, barleywines and the like. Then you can feel bad.

I mash 5-6 pounds of grain in 2 gallons of water. Then sparge with 1.5 gallons. Don't forget that. Better to add wort then plain water. I use a 5 gallon (20qt) SS stock pot & boil 3.5 gallons at a time.

Ah, so for my setup, I may be better off just mashing 3 lbs in about a gallon, then sparging with another gallon? Forgive my ignorance, but in my case, does pouring hot water over the grains (in the strainer) equate to sparging?

Yes,that's sparging. Just keep it to 170F or no lower than about 165F. And 1 gallon for 3lbs of grain isn't bad,but a lil thick,since it'll absorb a certain amount of water. you just plain need a bigger kettle than 3 gallons or so. Bought a set of 4 nested polished SS stock pots with lids & steamer trays for some $25 on sale at Giant Eagle a couple years ago. They def come in handy.

Yeah, a bigger pot is on my to-do list. We were at a regional market the other day and they had a decent one for 60 bucks, but we have other expenses right now preventing that purchase.

...Edit : I have a pot that I can do 2.25 gallons max in for a boil. I was thinking next time I could get 5 lbs of grain and mash that in the pot, then when it's done, pull the grain bag, and just proceed on in that same pot with the rest of the brew. Sound reasonable? Also, do you think the LHBS folks get annoyed at grinding grains for people? Granted, I'm only a few batches in, but I could see how it would get old for them. I just don't have the money right now to spend on a mill. If I buy a mill, well, then, there goes my money for that batch.

Keep on the lookout for larger pots, like those big enameled canning pots. Yard sales, Craigslist, Store "Specials," etc.

You can mash in that 2.25 gal pot. Not having a bag in there allows you to stir it well. Place in a pre-warmed (but turned off) oven (148-156°F) to keep the temperature longer. Line a large colander with that grain bag (that is your filter) and place it over another large pot or a food-grade bucket. Dump the mash out in there, or ladle it out and pour the wort through it.

Then sparge those grains by returning them to that pot, adding hot water to get a temperature of 170°F stir well, let sit for 5-10 minutes, stir and drain again.

You could repeat that one more time if you're still short on volume.

Be inventive and work toward your target: making great home brew!

Those small volume mashes are real fun to do. Lots of customization with incredible efficiency. I find them as rewarding as the boil itself. It is a large part of the brew quality.

Yes,that's sparging. Just keep it to 170F or no lower than about 165F. And 1 gallon for 3lbs of grain isn't bad,but a lil thick,since it'll absorb a certain amount of water. you just plain need a bigger kettle than 3 gallons or so. Bought a set of 4 nested polished SS stock pots with lids & steamer trays for some $25 on sale at Giant Eagle a couple years ago. They def come in handy.

Good advice, but to clarify, you don't want the grain to go over 170, so you can actually use hotter water to sparge if you desire, say 180 plus minus. Also, I feel there really is no minmum temperature for sparging, for example a one pot brewer can sparge with room temp water and get the desired results of sparging.

Pouring water over the grain bag helps, but may not be that efficient, so I would advise mashing in as much water as you are comfortable with, and pouring water through the grain bag as a means to topping up the kettle.

Pouring water over the grain bag helps, but may not be that efficient, so I would advise mashing in as much water as you are comfortable with, and pouring water through the grain bag as a means to topping up the kettle.

I think that we're saying the same thing. I did 1lb in 2 quarts, and then strained that into my larger brew pot, which already had about 1 gallon in it. I then topped it off by pouring another gallon through the strainer with the grains in it.

Well, my next batch probably won't be until the end of June, but that sounds like something I'd give a whirl at. I can keep the larger pot empty and mash in a smaller one, and have a couple others warming at the same time, and just strain through the grain to get to my 2~2.5 gallons.

Back