Did I get some wild yeast/bad bacteria in my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varroa

Reaction score
Hey Guys, long story short. I bought 23 litres of fresh pressed unpasteurized cider (OG 1.051) a couple weeks ago. I put 19 litres in a glass carboy with some sugar, honey and S-04 and it is happily bubbling away after 2 weeks now (thick krausen like foam on top). The remaining 4 litres went into a 1 gallon demijohn with only some Nottingham yeast (from the bad lot). This smaller batch started off strong with some nice bubbles, then the bubbles sank and a new layer formed that can only be described as large soap bubbles under a weird layer that looked like saran rap. Then that layer sank and now it is finished fermenting and is sitting at 1.005 FG. I tasted it and it tastes very sour, almost unpalatable. The bottom of the bottle has sever distinct layer in the trub. Did I get a infection in this small batch?

Its possible that the Nottinghame with the wild yeast naturally ocurring on the apples didn't go well. You may want to use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon 24 hours before pitching yeast in the future.

It's also very very possible that this will taste differently after a long aging period. Good luck!

From what I have read, dry cider tastes sour but isn't actually soured via lactic fermentation. I have a batch right now that is almost done is very sour, but I see no visible signs of infection (film on top, vinegar smell, etc.) so I think that is just how they are.

then the bubbles sank and a new layer formed that can only be described as large soap bubbles under a weird layer that looked like saran rap. Then that layer sank and now it is finished fermenting and is sitting at 1.005 FG. I tasted it and it tastes very sour, almost unpalatable. The bottom of the bottle has sever distinct layer in the trub. Did I get a infection in this small batch?

Cider can taste *very* sour/bitter when it ferments completely dry... Almost exactly 100% of the sugars are fermentable (Unlike beer)... so it goes DRY when it runs dry..... Assuming no infections, the usual thing to do is to let it be and malo-lactic fermentation will happen in a few months... It will smooth it out and knock some of the edge off......

Did you ferment under an air lock?

Acetobacter infection looks like a layer of saran wrap / cloudy slime floating on top ... Does it smell/taste Vinegary.... Acetobacter needs oxygen to do it's thing.... Fermenting under an air lock usually prevents/suppresses this....

The yeast lees aren't anything like beer trub... It's mostly cellulose pulp and yeast... not protein muck and hot/cold break..... It won't usually make weird off flavors like beer trub will....

Lactic souring doesn't happen to Cider... there aren't any proteins to ferment.... The usual Green Apple Sour Flavor comes from Malic acid -- which apples have in abundant supply.....

Thanks

Yes, I used an air lock. It does taste a little vinegary actually. I will have to ask how it smells since I don't have a working olfactory organ.

Are you sure it's vinegary and not just the malic acid? If there's no film on top and adding sugar makes the 'vinegar' taste go away you should be okay. Acetic acid is MUCH stronger in flavor than malic acid and sugar won't take the edge off nearly as easily. I agree with truckjohn, see if you can give an an MLF. Never done it myself but I've heard it helps a lot.

I will give it some time and see what happens. I will also get my wife to smell it and see what she says.

Ok, my wife says it has almost no smell (maybe a slight apple smell). I also added some sweetener and it tastes good so I guess it just needs more time. Thanks everybody.

blend it with your other stuff. I am a big fan of sours, so if blended prperly It might be good. I am going to try to sour in the cider in the near future

Dry cider tastes *REALLY* sharp and bitter at first.... Early on, it is horrible stuff (in my estimation...)....

But... it is also an exemplary example of the merits of patience.... Let it bulk age for a while (3 months to a year) and magical things happen! All the weird/sharp/bitter flavors mellow out and you end up with a fruity wine that kinda reminds you of an appley white Zin....

This may also be an excuse for you to try out oaking and/or spiced cider.....

Thanks

John

Yep, I am planning on letting it sit till spring. Thanks for the help everybody!

Back