Did I get ripped off on my beer gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I had a 10lb nitrogen bottle filled today for the first time with beer gas. It was done at a shop that supplies beer gas to a number of venders. When I picked it up today, it seemed a bit light. I got it home today and weighed it an it is 2.2 lbs over tare weight. WTF? Is that right? PSI in the tank is about 1800.

I beleive nitrogen is measured in cubic feet, not weight. But that does seem to be pretty light.

Nitrogen is stored as a compressed gas, and CO2 as a liquid. The tank sizes for nitrogen do in fact go by cubic feet, not pounds. But the pressure gauge tells you exactly how much is left (as opposed to with CO2 where it doesn't). They should fill it to a certain pressure, and then charge you depending on the size of your tank. You can call them and ask what pressure they fill to.

I actually looked at the tank rating which is 1800 psi. They did fill it to that pressure so it must be good. I can't believe there is only 2.2lbs of gas in there. I guess one other factor is that it N2 weighs much less than CO2 in terms of molecular weight and since it makes up 70% of the gas then one should expect a lower weight.

It was 50 cu ft that they charged me for. Price was $44 which I thought reasonable. I just wonder how long it will last.

Back