Did I get lucky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricK The Red

Reaction score
In a previous thread I mentioned bottling my 14 month old IPA, and most of the replies I received were far from opptomistic as far as carbonation is concerned.

I cracked one open on the 6th day after bottling and it's got plenty of carbonation!!!

I think the extra aging made this a great beer. I'll have to make another batch and bottle it within 3-4 weeks and note the differences.

:ban:

I didn't see the other thread, but except for sanitation issues, or rushing your beer, it is almost hard to mess up beer. Longer is usually better and if everything is sanitary, from what I have read, it just improves with age. Six days in the bottle is a week or two too early. You should learn to be more patient.

I'm so happy that it worked out for you. :mug:

I've found that I'm never sorry if a brew gets aged longer than "necessary" but I think you were really pressing the age button on that one. :D

The fact that you waited over a year to bottle and still have a decent beer is awesome. Glad it worked out for you.

if you waited 14 months to bottle it you couldn't have waited another couple weeks to drink it? I'm glad it turned out well for you. If it tastes ok now imagine how it will be a month down the road.

How was the hop nose? I've had problems with the aroma fading after a year in the keg. On the other hand, with kegs, I can always re-hop.

[You are now an authority on carbonation and long-delay bottling.]

I think I posted in that thread in a not very optimistic way...
but then again, yeast can survive some pretty amazing conditions. I'm a little surprised but not floored in amazement.

congrats!

david_42 said:
How was the hop nose? I've had problems with the aroma fading after a year in the keg. On the other hand, with kegs, I can always re-hop.

[You are now an authority on carbonation and long-delay bottling.]

It has a nice, full hop aroma, more than the Saranac Pale Ale that I'm drinking right now. It's mellower than I expected for an IPA, more like a regular Pale Ale. IMO it's an outstanding beer for my first homebrew attempt. :tank:

malkore said:
I think I posted in that thread in a not very optimistic way...
but then again, yeast can survive some pretty amazing conditions. I'm a little surprised but not floored in amazement.

congrats!

I didn't filter off much of the trub, but I did move it to a secondary after about three weeks. I think the sediment at the bottom of the secondary may have kept the yeast "happily dormant". :)

Just a guess..

Back