Did I get duped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcsum68

Reaction score
Went to LHBS and picked up some campden tablets, but he also talked me into buying some metabasulphite tritrets ($16) so I could test it before I added them.

Is that neccessary?

I cannot find anything about them on this forum, they dont seem very popular.

He said if its high enough (50 ppm I think), that I shouldnt add any and just rack away.

:drunk:

Went to LHBS and picked up some campden tablets, but he also talked me into buying some metabasulphite tritrets ($16) so I could test it before I added them.

Is that neccessary?

I cannot find anything about them on this forum, they dont seem very popular.

He said if its high enough (50 ppm I think), that I shouldnt add any and just rack away.

:drunk:

Free SO2 testing is for the true geek. This ventures well into "Advanced Winemaking" territory. Maybe I'm lazy or maybe I don't care enough about my hobby to want the best but I've been making wine for several years and I've never tested for SO2. I make wine for fun and free SO2 testing requires more work than I'm willing to invest.

In theory, for best wine, it's something you can/should do. But yeah, I dodn't know of many people who do it. I tend to stick to the campden every other racking method.

What if you are bulk aging. Do you add campden tablets periodically?

How often?

Doesn't the SO2 degrade over time?

the SO2 does evaporate out, yes. But being under airlock, in a properly filled carboy with minimal headspace/ullage, there's no oxygen to get into the wine. But yes, does periodically need to be added. I dissolve it into some wine and rack into the new carboy. I've never aged anything over 9 months or so though, others may have beter input.

Back