Did I find my off taste source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4car223

Reaction score
My first couple batches went from ok to pretty good...then I ran into problems. Off taste, odd stringy infection that only showed up in the bottle. I began picking my process apart, starting with my cleaning and sanitizing. I didn't think I had an issue with my approach but put a lot more attention into it. Next batch, same problem.

Everything was always soaked with star-san. Last batch, I ran the bottles through the steam cycle of the dish washer, then soaked them. Still the same problem. Very frustrating, to I started to think it was temps, but doubted it because it was always in a dark cool place and while the temps may have got above what they should be, they were never crazy high.

So by chance, while switching our storage room and a bedroom around, I was lifting my primary fermentation pail over my step-daughter's head and noticed a smell brown dot and line. Was curious what was stuck to my ale pail and found a very fine crack. It is about 1/2" long but is definitely a crack affecting the inside and outside.

This is the source of my problems isn't it?

Tomorrow is my first AG batch and I will be skipping the primary pail and will go right into my carboy and skip secondary. Is this a good idea and did I happen to stumble on my problem?

It's a great idea. In my opinion secondary is optional.

You might have found your germ source. Anything like a scratch or crack can harbor bacteria. It's tough to clean out those areas, so an infection is very possible.

If this brew turns out without the off taste and infection the last 2 batches had then I will be turning the cracked fermenter into my tool/equipment tote. It sucks living on the second floor of a three story apartment home and having to brew in the driveway.

This brew is the first at this apartment and I brought it up to the landlord to give them a heads up....his wife thinks home brewing is illegal and equates it to making meth (even though she is portugese and half of the portugese in this town have their own grape vines and make wine from them) so this should be interesting.:off:

Have some fun. dress like this when you brew:

breaking_bad.jpg

Update...

Did a few taster bottles along the way and they all tasted pretty good, obviously green but pretty good.

Just cracked one that has been 4 weeks in the bottle, 3 at room temp, 1 at a closet that is in an unheated closet and stays around 50-55*.

No sign of any infection. Just some great smokey, chocolatey nut brown flavor. I have renewed my excitement for brewing now that I have likely found the source, especially to add in the fact that my first AG was a complete success, except that I boiled off too much but that is a learning tool for my new equipment.

Now to brew a Christmas present kit from my old man while I have this stupid weight bearing cast on my broken foot. Broke it on 12/2 and am still out of work, and likely be out until 2/1. Stay-at-home-dad was great for a week. Now this sucks, and I am bored, and I am getting fat. I can't wait to go back to my sh$((y job.

Well... I think you may have found it. Good reminder for others to check your plastic equipment over before using it.

Back