Did I fail at beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
So I just opened my brew I started about 48 hours ago to check with the hydrometer, and I sanitized everything and dipped the container for the hydrometer in to get a sample. I dropped the hydro in, and I think the gravity went up...

There is a lot of nasty stuff floating on the top (I am guessing Krausen?) and the OG when I checked it (@ about 80 or so degrees) was about 1.045 or 1.048. Now it is about 1.050. What did I do wrong??

Also, to take your sample (although there is no reason to, just 48 hours in), you use a wine thief or turkey baster, sanitized, and take the sample OUT of the fermenter into the hydrometer jar. Don't just drop it in there- it's very hard to read unless you're at eye level, plus with the krausen in there, it'd be very difficult.

fear not young brewer... if you have krausen then you have fermentation.....

remember that the fermentable sugars in your wort are viscous... they get thicker when cooled... taking a hydro reading at 80 degrees means that the sugars were running a bit thinner and as it has cooled they have thickened up.... kinda like the grease on your fried chicken is runny when hot and cools to a gelatinous goo in the fridge.....

don't worry.... and don't take another reading for 1 week at least...... trust me... patience will be rewarded!

Ok thanks guys! For the record its the Brewers Best kit... American Micro Style Pale Ale

SG goes up if there is lotrs of little CO2 bubbles on the hydrometer!!!!! as would happen if you drop it in with a bit of force,. eh

It'll be fine. Give it some time and it will sort itself out. Great thread title, by the way.

Who was it who said, "The only way to fail as a homebrewer is to quit?"

You are fine. Your beer is fine. Everything is fine. Give it some time (like a month) and find something to do to occupy your time. While I was waiting on my first batch, I learned how to brew my own beer. It's time consuming, so it should set you up nicely with something to do while you wait.

hey while you are waiting for your first batch to finish

start another batch so you will not micro view your first batch

its all good

:ban:

Back