Did I contaminate my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangar18

Reaction score
So I bottled my very first batch yesterday (it tasted great, even though it wasn't carbonated... NO off flavors!) The kit comes VERY close to replicating the taste of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (one of my favorites). Anyway, I soaked my bottling bucket, all the tubing, and my siphon in Iodophor for over ten minutes. I also sanitized my bottles very well.

Here's where I think I screwed up:

When I was about to rack to the bottling bucket, I accidentally touched the still warm priming solution when I was trying to keep the tube under the surface. My hands were dipped in Iodophor for a long while cleaning those bottles, and my kit has about 6.0% alcohol. Should I be worried?

It should be fine. Germs are everywhere so it's inevitable that some will get in there. Luckily for brewing you only have to be sanitary, not sterile. Now, if you were culturing yeast you would have contaminated the sample but in your case there shouldn't be any problems.

Phew!! Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Now the hard part is is waiting two weeks while the bottles condition. Brewing is definitely testing my patience.

No dopt worry at a;; geee ebfore I purchased my auto siphon i would be sucking on the end fo the hsoe to start the sipho9n and I neevr had infected beer. Yours will be just fine :)

+1. You're usually out of the woods if you have a successful fermentation. ;)

One more quick question. My bottling bucket did not come with a lid. So my racked beer sat in the open bottling bucket for a while before I put it into bottles. Is that long enough to oxidize the beer?

Cool. Sorry to be paranoid, I just really hope my beer turns out as good as I think it will :)

Hangar18 said:
Cool. Sorry to be paranoid, I just really hope my beer turns out as good as I think it will :)

you will be like that for three batches or soo, then you realize its pretty hard to screw beer up.

Latest posts

Back